• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush 3/2/07---3/3/07

wintersyndrome

Yeah it took me some time to post this... my bad...enjoy...sorry if its wordy

Date(s) Skied: Saturday, 3/3/2007, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Sunday, 3/4/2007, 8:30 am- 3:30 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush, Vermont

Conditions: Saturday Powdery, Temps in the in the Mid- 30’s Sun Early then sun and Clouds.
Sunday: Powdery Temps in upper 20’s Low 30s
heavy snow squalls All day long

The conditions for this trip were absolutely epic, deep pow shots were available without even seeking them out too hard, woods were plenty deep with many features being rideable that under lesser conditions may not have been.
I apologize for the lack of pictures, as it was too cold or batteries were left on all night…I don’t know for sure it wasn’t my camera.

Trip Report: Brothers weekend, My two Brothers, one older and one younger, and I, drove up Friday in the waning hours of Fridays storm followed light rain and Drizzle all the way up to I-91, rain ceased and began snow showering on I-89 3” on the roads by the time we pulled off onto 100b arrived, ate dinner waited on some friends (another set of brothers) to join us. We had a nice size group there 5 of us all together We hung out for a couple of hours drank beers and didn’t smoke anything  really

Saturday morning, arrived and stood in line for Gate House X-press to open then took North lynx and did a couple of laps on that Blue (Skiers Right) from the top, it was freshly groomed corduroy when we arrived so it was nice to blast out some high speed Super-Gs to test the fresh wax on my board. From there it was over to Super Bravo by-way of a missed turn off Castlerock connection. So we did Murphy’s Glade dropped into that brambly woods section down and across Organgrinder before heading on over to C-Rock double hung out in the serpentine line that forms there and took a spin down Middle Earth frequently hopping into the woods off the left side of the trail.

By now It was apparent the
A.) The snow was going to be fantastic…all day, all weekend
B.) Not all of us in the group can ski/ride as well as others
--I guess living in Vermont for 2 seasons did my brother well and marriage, having children, ETC. has taken its toll on others who shall remain nameless.

After Castlerock we rode up Super Bravo up to the blue trail that connects to Heavens Gate triple to Paradise and Paradise woods, back to Heavens Gate triple up for some Jester hoped into the woods off of Jester. Sweet powder turns to be found all over deep powder in the woods, just kind of sat back and let the board do the turning, The snow conditions felt western, though the powder was a little heavy it was great that there was snow everywhere we were able to ride through almost anything we saw

Finished off by taking some Blues back down to the Main base area and then onto Mount Ellen via the SB chair Up the HSQ near SB Quad
Did some nice stuff from Elbow on down to Cruiser? and maybe 1 or 2 more runs on Mount Ellen before heading back to Lincoln peak to do some laps of of that blue again on North Lynx which by now was little more bumped up than when we left early that morning and finishing the day with a dose of Sleeper hucking it off some rocks near the top to add some flair. We rode until 4pm and ended the day a little tired but happy to know that there would be more tomorrow

By 5pm my two friends left (marriage kids ETC) and we parted knowing that when we would do this again we’d all be another year or two older though we promised not to let so much time pass. My brothers and I Had dinner at Egan’s, and I enjoyed a nice dark and stormy substituting the Goslings for Myers dark Rum Got back to our digs for the evening and was passed was out before the 1st period was halfway through in the Boston V. Montreal game

Sunday: awoke to some flurries, that quickly turned heavy, was in the parking lot again by 8:30am though this time we headed right to Super Bravo warmed it up on the traverse to the blue next to Eden. Again on Super-Bravo blue trail to heavens gate with some jaunting through the woods we found the nice natural halfpipe shaped Gully, It was really fun to kick-out some thrashing surfing turns on the gully-wall that empties out onto that trail under H-Gate triple. Up to the top and cruised down a lightly trafficked Organ-Grinder. Up H-gate and then down Jester & Jester woods to Murphs Glade back over organgrinder and into those brambled woods down there. Headed over to North Lynx again where just by luck we were two chairs behind the Sugarbush Outback Guides…and after a little conversational “should –we shouldn’t we?!” our nervousness subsided when a olde woman and her (possible) grandchild entered without a hiccup so we followed the hearty folk into a realm and experience that was previously unknown to us…all I can say is WOW…what an experience…Truly the east coasts version of a back bowl. Not as much pruning needed back there as I thought, and minus hip-checking (ok wrapping myself around) a tree after losing an edge it was the best skiing/snowboarding experience I’ve had on this coast.

The tree incident was kinda scary in fact more scary now than then because I really lucked out on how I hit the tree (on my hip and butt)
Where if I had hit 8-10 inches hiher I probably would have broken a rib or two any lower and I could have F-d up my knee real bad…so I got lucky..thanks be to God.

We made it out of the Brook and hooked up with the bus rather quickly and continued to ride mostly groomers as my injury was limiting spry movement in the bumps…attempted paradise and paradise woods one more time around 3pm and that was it…worn out tired done…went to the bottom and had a copper ale in the Castlerock pub and waited for My brothers to get down...

Sunday was and absolutely amazing day snow all day long and improving conditions as well…we left the bush fearing a 10 hour ride home and were pleasantly surprised when the snow subsided south of the Granville Gulf.

All I can say about the ‘bush is I cannot wait to go back…I’m always pleased when I’m there I love the vibe, terrain, snow, possibilities just everything about the place is why to me it’s the ultimate Eastern resort…

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Another who enjoyed last week's bounty in the MRV.

I was at Sugarbush that Sunday too and can verify without hesitation the snow conditions, trails, and abundance of tree skiing you report.

Nice job.

Greg

Staff member
Another who enjoyed last week's bounty in the MRV.

I was at Sugarbush that Sunday too and can verify without hesitation the snow conditions, trails, and abundance of tree skiing you report.

Nice job.

I skied first tracks (10" of powder over nice medium bumps) on Morning Star the following Monday. Two days later I hit Rumble which still had tons of powder. Those were the two runs of my season so far.