• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush 4/5/09

MommaBear

Date(s) Skied: Sunday 4/5/09

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush

Conditions: Fresh snow, spring conditions

Trip Report:

With rain overnight in Mendon, we weren't sure what to expect. But we had tickets and were headed to the mountain anyway. Arrived about 9:30, temps in the mid 30's, overcast with breaks of sun. Was thrilled to find 5 to 8 inches (per the website) of fresh snow!! Based on what we were finding underneath that snow, our day would have skied much different had that snow not come. Depending on where you were on the mountain determined the snow texture. Heavy but movable snow up top. Slightly heavier and crustier midway and heavy and more spring like toward the bottom. Skiing down a trail off the North Linx chair, I was hanging to skier's right in the thick stuff and enjoying it but when the texture changed, it definitely caught me off guard - didn't put enough effort into the turn and was rewarded with a face plant in the drift. Couldn't help but lay there and laugh.

Upper lifts were on wind hold until about 11. But lower mountain provided us with enough till lunch. Stein's was tough to move the snow around, even later in the day. Murphy's Glades was fun so we ran it several times. Upper mountain was foggy at the top. Enjoyed several runs but not sure of the names (Paradise, Organgrinder...I think).

Trees were great! And plenty of untouched was still to be found mid day. Crowds were nonexistent...pretty much ski on at the lifts or a 1 to 2 party wait at best.

Great day, something for everyone.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
It appears we took a pic from the same spot, a couple of years apart.....:D :lol: Yup, Sunday was busy in Gatehouse and the parking lot but not too much on the mountain. Pretty typical for a cloudy, showery spring day. Ripcord was mentioned often as the trail of the day. CP wasn't wall to wall but for a Sunday I thought it was pretty busy and was still going strong when I left about 6PM. Must have been all the Brits and Scots I spoke to all day long, seemed like a fun bunch of people.

The boulder pic is near the bottom of Paradise.

Last edited: