• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush and Mad River Glen weekend - best time to go?

TheArchitect

I'm planning a weekend trip to ski SB and MRG this winter. I was wondering if someone might know when they're traditionally 90-100% open. I don't want to wait too late in the season to go but I also want plenty of snow on the ground. I'm thinking mid-February to early March is safe bet. Is that a good assumption?

Also, how busy is SB tradtionally during February school vacation week?

Any suggestions for lodging in the area? I found this website: http://www.madrivervalley.com/ski-the-valley and am considering the Golden Lion. It's just going to be me on this trip so I more or less just want a place to sleep and eat that's close by and not really expensive.

Finally, this is going to be my first visit to SB. I won't be able to ski the whole mountain so any suggestions for what peak to hit first? I'm an advanced skier when moguls aren't involved. :cry: I love steeps and would like to get some experience in the glades.

TIA

ScottySkis

If is a good winter MRG maybe end of first month of 2013, and SB with luck my X mas holiday, I would just watch the weather and go when it has been cold up their for a few with weeks without to much rain or warm ups.Golden Lion I think will give you a 10% discount because your member here.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree with the first week of March.

SB will be packed, and expensive, during Feb School vacation.

jrmagic

If you're only spending one day at the Bush and one at MRG I'd hit up Mt Ellen and save yourself a few bucks and some crowds as well. End Feb/Beb. March is a pretty safe bet on havnig a good amount fo snow around.

Blizzard of Wahhs

I recommend September. Excellent weather, the skiing is only marginally worse than winter (shitty versus completely shitty) and lodging is cheap. You will need to use rock skis though, it is not a mission for the faint of heart.

WWF-VT

In a typical year from the middle of February through the middle of March all terrain will be open and there is good depth in the woods.

February school vacation week is busy but not overwhelming. If you are doing two weekend days ski Mt Ellen on Saturday and Lincoln Peak on Sunday. FWIW in three of the last four years the best snow of the season has been on the backend of the school vacation week.

As others have said – there are a lot fewer people around after February break.

The Golden Lion is a good option – value, breakfast and the AZ discount. If you are traveling solo and don’t mind sharing a room you might like Hostel Tevere. http://hosteltevere.com/

If you are an “advanced skier when moguls aren’t involved” there are plenty of blue cruisers at either LP or Mt Ellen. To really enjoy all the best terrain and glades/woods in the MRV you’ll have to be ready to ski natural snow and moguls so I hope you’re ready for more challenging terrain when you visit.

HowieT2

timing is good in terms of snow but of course the vacation week will me crowded than usual. MTn is generally 100% open by mlk weekend. although a bit more risky in terms of snow, superbowl weekend is usually good and very quiet.

check out the hostel tavere or slidebrook lodge also for lodging.

where you should ski depends on whether its the holiday weekend or during the week.

feel free to pm me with any questions.

noski

Any suggestions for lodging in the area? I found this website: http://www.madrivervalley.com/ski-the-valley and am considering the Golden Lion. It's just going to be me on this trip so I more or less just want a place to sleep and eat that's close by and not really expensive.
TIA
This is a great destination product. Ski where you want, when you want, get added freebies every day. If you're coming midweek there is no better option. GL is a good choice as well for you.

FWIW, many/most VT schools are on vacation the last full week of Feb. through the first Tuesday in March. That is the week following Presidents' Week.

steamboat1

I'm not trying to say there's any lack of cruising terrain at Sugarbush & to a lesser extent Mad River. But if your adverse to bumps you won't be able to enjoy the better terrain at either mountain.

HowieT2

The best steep trail without moguls is ripcord at lincoln peak.

TheArchitect

Wow, that was fast...

After reading the replies I think I'm going to aim for the first weekend in March. I'd rather avoid the crowds during February school vacation. It's very good to know that the Vermont schools are closed until the first Tuesday in March. As for the lodging, I was already looking at the Golden Lion so it sounds like that was a good choice. Can't complain about a discount for being an AZ'r.

I'm not trying to say there's any lack of cruising terrain at Sugarbush & to a lesser extent Mad River. But if your adverse to bumps you won't be able to enjoy the better terrain at either mountain.

I was aware that skiing these areas meant natural snow and lots of ungroomed bump trails. In my youth I could ski long bump trails but it wasn't always pretty. Now, at 42 and coming back 2 years ago after a 10 year break from skiing, sustained bump runs kick my ass. I agree I won't be able to ski the better terrain due to bumps but I still want to ski there this year. I suspect after another year and perhaps a few less pounds I'll be back to getting down bump trails without too much pain.

Anyway, I'm not looking for groomers to cruise on. Ungroomed natural snow is a-okay with me as long as it isn't completely bumped over or the bumps aren't really tight.

Thanks for all the replies!

bdfreetuna

I like Late March possibly first week April for Sugarbush/MRG. Never gone during that time when it wasn't fully open up there. Sugarbush and MRG will leave their trails open until there are too many bare patches.

The advantage to late March or early April is that you might get spring snow conditions which means you;ll be in heaven if you venture into the steep woods at those ski areas. And soft moguls!

Any time in March is best bet for 100% fully open. In fact is should be a sure bet unless we get summer in the winter time this year.

steamboat1

I was aware that skiing these areas meant natural snow and lots of ungroomed bump trails. In my youth I could ski long bump trails but it wasn't always pretty. Now, at 42 and coming back 2 years ago after a 10 year break from skiing, sustained bump runs kick my ass. I agree I won't be able to ski the better terrain due to bumps but I still want to ski there this year. I suspect after another year and perhaps a few less pounds I'll be back to getting down bump trails without too much pain.

Anyway, I'm not looking for groomers to cruise on. Ungroomed natural snow is a-okay with me as long as it isn't completely bumped over or the bumps aren't really tight.

Thanks for all the replies!

Lol... you're 42

I'm 56