• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush expansion?

I heard a rumor that Sugarbush was looking to install lifts and trails in between Ellen and Castlerock, around the Slidebrook express. Is this confirm?

WWF-VT

Huh? Look at a trail map - Slidebrook Express chair is at North Lynx Peak and connects to Mt Ellen. Slidebrook is bear habitat/wildlife management area and off limits to expansion.

HowieT2

I heard a rumor that Sugarbush was looking to install lifts and trails in between Ellen and Castlerock, around the Slidebrook express. Is this confirm?
Not even remotely possible. In order to put the slidebrook chair in, asc agreed not to develop there. Which is great for anyone who likes tree skiing.

WWF-VT

Only thing I've seen is this:

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/Planning/5W1045-31/2008_Sugarbush_Vegetation%20Management%20Plan_With_Figures.pdf

Trailboss posted this link a few years ago. expansion maps start around page 47. IIRC Win has commented on here that none of these plans are imminent right now as the market wouldn't deliver the necessary ROI.

The plans on page 47 show trails/lift between Castlerock and North Lynx Peak - no expansion in Slidebrook.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I didn't say there would be.

Personally, I'd be more intrigued by the plans at North on those renderings.

steamboat1

Personally, I'd be more intrigued by the plans at North on those renderings.
They did cut a lift line trail over at North years ago. I heard at the time they were planning on connecting to MRG. I also heard the reason it was abandoned was because the ski area doesn't own the land where the trail was cut. Anyway if you look closely you can still see the trail that was cut to the right of Inverness going up to a peak adjacent to MRG. It's pretty much grown in again but you still can see it. Here's an old picture showing the cut. It was actually wider than it appears in the picture because of the angle the picture was taken from.

postcard-1960s-0000a.jpg

Last edited:

HowieT2

They did cut a lift line trail over at North years ago. I heard at the time they were planning on connecting to MRG. I also heard the reason it was abandoned was because the ski area doesn't own the land where the trail was cut. Anyway if you look closely you can still see the trail that was cut to the right of Inverness going up to a peak adjacent to MRG. It's pretty much grown in again but you still can see it. Here's an old picture showing the cut. It was actually wider than it appears in the picture because of the angle the picture was taken from.

View attachment 6738

Thats where any expansion would be. Above inverness. They could run a quad from the base or the top of inverness. Would open a huge amount of terrain. But it aint happening in the foreseeable future. And frankly thats a good thing because there is some great tree skiing in there.

steamboat1

The lift would have added 1100ft of vertical above Inverness. Imagine if they ever connected the 3 ski areas. That would almost be as huge a deal as what is being planned in Utah.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The lift would have added 1100ft of vertical above Inverness. Imagine if they ever connected the 3 ski areas. That would almost be as huge a deal as what is being planned in Utah.

Yep, that was cut. And yep, in 1979 or so the guy who owned SB made a serious offer to buy MRG. Betsy Pratt said no. Win and crew do have *long term* plans to expand in that rough area.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The lift and trail pod down into the valley where Lower FIS goes would be pretty sweet as well.

slatham

Hate to throw cold water on this discussion but there is significant money to be spent in-bounds (besides base area development). We all know the snowmaking system is underpowered and could use some capital invesment. Valley house needs to be replaced. Village needs to be replaced. Heavens Gate? And there is tons of new terrian potential, again in-bounds, which are on Win's plans becuase they will be easier to get done and cheaper to build out. Thats my 2 cents.....

steamboat1

I can't find the story I heard on the news radio today here in NYC. The news I heard was that a park in Queens (NYC) might develop a small ski hill this year & Sugarbush is somehow involved. Don't know if it's just for snowmaking or if they have a financial stake in it's development. If I get a chance later I'll try to search again.
It was on 1010wins news radio if anyone else can find the story.

ScottySkis

I can't find the story I heard on the news radio today here in NYC. The news I heard was that a park in Queens (NYC) might develop a small ski hill this year & Sugarbush is somehow involved. Don't know if it's just for snowmaking or if they have a financial stake in it's development. If I get a chance later I'll try to search again.

My coworker heard it to but said it was in the Bronx, I to looked on 1010 website but that brought me to 880 website and I didn't see anything either, I was thinking of checking 1010 Facebook page assuming they have one.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2