• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 2020

mccleaks

With the new year around the corner I randomly remembered this morning that Sugarloaf had once released a vision for the future of the mountain and called it "Sugarloaf 2020". I think they first released their master plan around the time the Burnt Mountain woods were first being cut (2010-ish?). So I googled it this morning to try and see how they have been doing in keeping up with the plan that was laid out years ago. Mostly what I had remembered was that the finishing touch is supposed to be some form of a new top to bottom lift to finally replace the gondola that closed when I was a kid.

I did some googling and I can find a Sugarloaf 2020 blog they have on a tublr page, but the original website www.sugarloaf2020.com seems to no longer exist. For the most part I think they have met most of their goals with all of the expansion to Burnt, upgrading snowmaking, upgrading lifts (Spillway and King Pine, possibly forced ahead of schedule), Lodge/village improvements, etc. Just curious if anyone can find the original list of goals and if anyone knows if there is still a plan for a top to bottom lift to finally replace the gondola?

ss20

Run a gondola up to the top and it'd be down half the time due to the wind. Run a gondola up to the tree line below the snowfields, and run a T-bar the rest of the way.

mccleaks

Run a gondola up to the top and it'd be down half the time due to the wind. Run a gondola up to the tree line below the snowfields, and run a T-bar the rest of the way.

I 100% agree that a new gondola is not the answer. The old one hardly ever ran due to wind. But maybe a fixed grip chair? I think a top to bottom lift of some sort there would really help spread the crowds out and just overall improve the flow of the mountain. Also only needing to ride one lift for something like 2300' of vertical would be pretty awesome especially offloading at the top of some of the best terrain on the mountain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not realistic. There is zero room to put a top gondola terminal anywhere that isn't significantly further down hill from where Spillway ends without blasting a massive hole in the side of the mountain. There's barely enough room to accommodate the top terminal of the FGQ as is. Basically you'd be looking at ending it around where the old mid station was, which would make it a pretty worthless lift.

A surface lift from top of Spillway would be feasible to lookers right. You could probably find a way to put something in skiers right of Narrow Gauge ext.

IMO, running a new chair up Bucksaw to Bullwinkle's and then realigning Timberline to extend it down to Bullwinkle's is about the only feasible way of offering more convenient chairlift access to the summit

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not realistic. There is zero room to put a top gondola terminal anywhere that isn't significantly further down hill from where Spillway ends without blasting a massive hole in the side of the mountain. There's barely enough room to accommodate the top terminal of the FGQ as is. Basically you'd be looking at ending it around where the old mid station was, which would make it a pretty worthless lift.

A surface lift from top of Spillway would be feasible to lookers right. You could probably find a way to put something in skiers right of Narrow Gauge ext.

IMO, running a new chair up Bucksaw to Bullwinkle's and then realigning Timberline to extend it down to Bullwinkle's is about the only feasible way of offering more convenient chairlift access to the summit

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
Agreed. There's plenty of speculation on Sugarloaf today. Much of it revolves around replacing the super quad with a six pack and re-installing the quad somewhere in West mountain - most likely the survey line they cut a few years back. I guess the speculation originated from comments made at an annual meeting this fall.

I've always liked the idea of extending the Timberline lift line far enough dowm so it could be accessed from Bullwinkle's (i.e. out of bounds the way the boundary line is drawn today).

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app