• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suggestion: Running Forum Section

Since this is New Englands most popular outdoor forum, one popular activity that does not have proper respect here is running. :idea:Maybe under the hiking section there could be a running sub-forum. Thanks for putting this idea into consideration!

skiNEwhere

I suggested the same thing for kayaking, I'm not sure if there is enough interest to spur a seperate forum, but maybe you could make a thread and the mod could make it a sticky?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I still owe a response here .... let me get some thoughts and we can see what everyone else thinks as well ... it has been a while since the forum has been adjusted

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey guys,

So I'm all up for adding in specific subforums; the only question i have is ... will they be used? I think we try to make them generic enough so they can involve many different kinds of activities on the same plane. Example; I think Hiking could probably also include Running, and Biking would be both Mountain and Road.

I've been thinking about it for a little while, I just wonder if Kayaking is popular enough on the board to warrant its own forum? I can try it, it only takes a few seconds, and if it doesn't seem to get any love then we can pull it again or roll everything into another one. Maybe a better solution is an "Other outdoor activities" subforum? That could include kayaking, running, rock climbing, surfing, whatever....

o3jeff

I think you should keep it simple, maybe try the "other outdoor activities" subforum. Once you start putting too many it becomes too much for my little brain.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah, I was thinking before of a reorg on the skiing side. Maybe having topics like ....

> Technique
> Location
--> New England
--> New York / PA
--> Mid Atlantic
--> Canada

etc., but I figured it became too complicated. I do wonder if we should move GEAR up into SKIING. It seems like it would belong there better. The problem I guess is that GEAR becomes a catch all for all gear across the various types of sports (e.g. hiking gear, biking gear, etc.)

skiNEwhere

I wanted to see if we could a kayaking forum back in may. I made a post about kayaking and got a few responses, but not enough to warrant its own forum.

On the flip side, I seriously think this is the #1 website for skiing on the east coast, and pretty close to #1 for hiking too. I bet there are a lot of outdoorsy people who come to this site, but don't see a forum that pertains to them, and leave. I mean whenever you look at the guest status, there are usually 10 times as many guests browsing the site as registered users. The more users you get, the more your ad's get clicked, and the more money the website makes (or even better, less ads) seems Win-Win either way.

If we had a kayaking forum, I think it would prompt more people to post about kayaks, and promote the sport.

Alright, I'll get off my soapbox

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Does.running every day to my MTA subway train and again to catch my bus in Port Authority count?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Do we dare make a politics forum? :evil:

I've actually debated that (lol). but, the no-politics rule is longstanding here (predating me), and I think that's OK. The problem with politics is that it spills over onto everything else. Someone likes Policy A, someone likes Policy B, and before you know it, two people who are so into their views are hating on each other.

then, in the ski forum, person A says "I like to ski at East Bumfield Mountain" and Person B says "F(*&U you".

:lol:

Plus, a political forum would be a nightmare to administer. It always devolves into name calling. I mean hell, threads here about mundane things like how you sit on a lift have nearly caused riots. :uzi:

skiNEwhere

I've actually debated that (lol). but, the no-politics rule is longstanding here (predating me), and I think that's OK. The problem with politics is that it spills over onto everything else. Someone likes Policy A, someone likes Policy B, and before you know it, two people who are so into their views are hating on each other.

then, in the ski forum, person A says "I like to ski at East Bumfield Mountain" and Person B says "F(*&U you".

:lol:

Plus, a political forum would be a nightmare to administer. It always devolves into name calling. I mean hell, threads here about mundane things like how you sit on a lift have nearly caused riots. :uzi:

Personally, I love skiing East Bumfield Mountain, but there new ownership has started to drive it into the ground.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. I know Greg made that rule though. And things already get out of hand in the skiing forum, just look at the MRG thread I started. Honestly, things seem to have gotten much worse in the last year or so :/

skiNEwhere

Nick or OP, can we make a poll on this and put it to vote? Running I could care less, but I could definitely go for a kayaking forum

I'm on board for having a poll on that "other outdoor activities" forum. I don't think Kayaking and Running generate enough intrest to have their own forum. Also Miscelleneous Discussion is an option. Just post a kayaking thread there.

skiNEwhere

I think creating a forum will generate conversation. By post in misc or "other outdoor activities" forums, the topics would be vague. Why not at least put it to a vote? Won't hurt

ScottySkis

I think creating a forum will generate conversation. By post in misc or "other outdoor activities" forums, the topics would be vague. Why not at least put it to a vote? Won't hurt

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

That is good idea.