• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2023 ski area improvement projects

deadheadskier

Staff member

Some modest improvements to Gunstock. Converting the Stockade lodge to a bar and full service restaurant will be quite popular. Sounds like the snowmaking on Upper RamRod is a maybe. Will be interesting to see if when they do it, if they cut the trail a little longer downhill to connect to Trigger. Currently there's an uphill traverse.

Good to see they're reinvesting in the hill again after last years debacle.

machski

Sunday River: new Barker 6, new backside Merrill Triple and added terrain. Snowmaking system rebuild for Aurora/Oz/Jordan with more water pumping capacity.

Loon: new South Peak Quad and carpets, new day skier and learning portal and lifts, Undercut cutout to full trail with Snowmaking.

Sugarloaf: west mountain expansion with new HSQ and trails, more snowmaking.

Attitash: New Summit HSQ

Sugarbush: New Reverse Traverse

Newpylong

No they didn't touch it then. They are reworking it along with HG Traverse with snowmaking to get you over to Bravo area and Heavens Gate when Bravo quad is down.

Killington: likely more mulch.

cdskier

Again? I thought they redid it already when the new quad went in.
I think you're thinking of Valley House Traverse...which the end of VHT was redone when the VHQ replaced the VHD.

From the top of the existing Reverse Traverse, they're cutting a new alignment that is more downhill to make it easier to get to the Heaven's Gate Traverse (they've already started clearing the trees a few weeks ago). The old Reverse Traverse will then be allowed to grow back. They'll also be adding snowmaking to Reverse Traverse and Heaven's Gate Traverse. That gives a reliable alternative to Downspout.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think you're thinking of Valley House Traverse...which the end of VHT was redone when the VHQ replaced the VHD.

From the top of the existing Reverse Traverse, they're cutting a new alignment that is more downhill to make it easier to get to the Heaven's Gate Traverse (they've already started clearing the trees a few weeks ago). The old Reverse Traverse will then be allowed to grow back. They'll also be adding snowmaking to Reverse Traverse and Heaven's Gate Traverse. That gives a reliable alternative to Downspout.

You're correct. I was confusing it with VH traverse

NYDB

Magic is going to finish installing the ’Black lift’.

Plus they need to de slippify the new deck. People going down and getting hurt on that new surface.

bigbob

No they didn't touch it then. They are reworking it along with HG Traverse with snowmaking to get you over to Bravo area and Heavens Gate when Bravo quad is down.

Killington: likely more mulch.
Sounds like the K 1 lodge went waaay over budget!

shawnanigans

Pleasant 13,000 feet of new pipe.

And looks like the "new" summit quad timeline got pushed up to this summer:

We have unexpected news. Our parent company, Boyne Resorts has decided to begin a major lift installation this summer. The former Jordan Bowl Quad at Sunday River will become our new summit lift. Renovations of the lift are going faster than expected. Thus, Boyne is taking the opportunity to install it here at least a year sooner than expected. The lift will be installed somewhat parallel to the Summit Triple, with the base closer to the lodge. The triple will be shortened to the mid-station. Because of this work and expense, the plans for a bike park and lodge renovation are on hold. Dates have not been set, however be aware that access to the mountain will be limited during the summer and fall.

We look forward to welcoming you back for the 2023/24 season.

Pleasant Mountain

crystalmountainskier

We have unexpected news. Our parent company, Boyne Resorts has decided to begin a major lift installation this summer. The former Jordan Bowl Quad at Sunday River will become our new summit lift. Renovations of the lift are going faster than expected. Thus, Boyne is taking the opportunity to install it here at least a year sooner than expected. The lift will be installed somewhat parallel to the Summit Triple, with the base closer to the lodge. The triple will be shortened to the mid-station. Because of this work and expense, the plans for a bike park and lodge renovation are on hold. Dates have not been set, however be aware that access to the mountain will be limited during the summer and fall.

Pleasant Mountain

Hopefully real and not April Fool's!

thebigo

Pleasant Mountain
What is the source? Dont see this on website?

Mainer

I wish pleasant would open sunny side triple every day, I’d rather have that then a new quad. The mountain skis a lot bigger with that open

shawnanigans

What is the source? Dont see this on website?

I saw it on SJ. I thought it was in the snow report but looks like it might have been an email blast:

I just checked the snow report and it shows this:
IMPORTANT CHANGE IN UPHILL ACCESS. As of Monday, April 10th 2023, uphill access will be prohibited due to the activity of heavy equipment on the hill.

Perhaps the heavy equipment is preparing for the lift install. My apologies if I passed along bad information.