• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Skiing

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm trying to plan* a trip to NZ in 2011 for the rugby world cup. It would be in Sept, which would be mid-season conditions.

*by plan I mean convince my wife that it's worth the cost

dmc

I'm trying to plan* a trip to NZ in 2011 for the rugby world cup. It would be in Sept, which would be mid-season conditions.

Sept is spring for them... When we have fall they have spring...

highpeaksdrifter

I this is a pretty good article about where to ski in the summer.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2001136/where_to_ski_and_snowboard_in_summer.html

I've done late Colorado trips and Argentina. Never been to Hood, Chile or Austrilia though.

The was a girl who posted on Epicski that she taught skiing here in the USA (forget where) then went to Austrilia and taught skiing for their winter.

Sounds cool, but I don't know if I'd want 2 winters a year...maybe not sure.

skiadikt

*by plan I mean convince my wife that it's worth the cost

skiing should still be good but expect spring conditions at most areas. i think mt hutt and maybe treble cone on the south island and ruapehu on the north island have longest seasons. most areas close in early october. however the travel is brutal so you need at least 2 weeks to make it worthwhile.

Geoff

When I looked into it briefly, I think I read that the season was June-Nov. Maybe I read it wrong.

September is definitely spring skiing most of the time. I was at Treble Cone on their closing day. I think it was around October 1. Mount Hutt might run a little later since it's close to the major population center in Christchurch. It didn't have much snow left at the lower elevations the first few days of October. All the grass clumps they call tussock were sticking through.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
The was a girl who posted on Epicski that she taught skiing here in the USA (forget where) then went to Austrilia and taught skiing for their winter.

Sounds cool, but I don't know if I'd want 2 winters a year...maybe not sure.

A buddy of mine and his girlfriend do that, they teach somewhere in Chile can't for the life of me remember where! But after 3 seasons of doing that, his gf insisted that they have to spend two weeks somewhere in the Carribean late Oct-early Nov. so they can pretend to have a summer.

As they've said, right as the days get longer and longer, we go to where they are shorter and start over again.

nycskier

I would love to go to Portillo. They should be up and running for the season pretty soon.

I did a bunch of trips to Argentina and it was awesome.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
They forgot to list Mount Washington. Always skiable snow through June. Sometimes even July. No August and September though... though I do know some folks that got August during a big snow year.

snoseek

2 weeks...

Hottest week of the year (on average,) and I'll be skiing. :snow:

Where?! Good way to break up the summer.

On a side note i swore i was done but St. Mary's is close and still holding up ok. The jones is starting to kick in and i love summer