• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer Slopes

jack97

Just wondering if these guys are bummed out given the summer season will soon be over. Kidding aside, it appears they placed these surfaces over some trails, just wondering if this something a US resort area would consider.

moresnow

I couldn't help but wonder about the grass growing through it. When does that become a problem? And how would you fix it? Can you mow over the tiles?

PomfretPlunge

just wondering if this something a US resort area would consider.

There's a snowflex slope down at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. http://www.liberty.edu/snowflex/

I visited it a couple of times a few years ago. If they had moguls or rollers like in the Japanese vid, it would be worth it for occasional summer practice. Liberty U's place has mostly all flats, and some giant air kickers so it's kindof a long haul from DC just for that.

I talked to some of the folks down there and they said they had kindof the opposite problem -- they have snowflex as the base, when they get a big snow they ski it but it is very hard for them to groom ;) ;)

Peace

dlague

There's a snowflex slope down at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. http://www.liberty.edu/snowflex/

I visited it a couple of times a few years ago. If they had moguls or rollers like in the Japanese vid, it would be worth it for occasional summer practice. Liberty U's place has mostly all flats, and some giant air kickers so it's kindof a long haul from DC just for that.

I talked to some of the folks down there and they said they had kindof the opposite problem -- they have snowflex as the base, when they get a big snow they ski it but it is very hard for them to groom ;) ;)

Peace

I think with all the money ski areas are dumping into summer activities they would consider a short run that could be lift served like Racoon Run at Jay Peak - away from the main slopes and lift served.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

jack97

What irks me is that snowflex offers some a mogul section.

Smellytele

Wonder what a wipe out would feel like.
Jay wouldn't be a place for it but some place that already is using a lift for something else such as a coaster or Mtn biking.

Savemeasammy

It would be great for someone in New England to do this.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

Surely Action Park could set something up like this. Maybe with some kickers into a pond.