• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River Blowing Snow.... Shortly

Black Phantom

SR will open before K. Heard it here first.

Press release to follow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent from 2 Cans of Campbell's Soup connected by #6 THHN

Zand

Their website makes it sound like they're not doing anything this weekend... which one is it lol

Tooth

I heard its going to be very cold up in the mountains this weekend. Snow up high too. I wouldnt rule anything out. The whole who is first thing always stresses me out. I am such a damn homer. SR always scares me the first day or so. I do it but my head is on a damn swivel. I always fear being taken out by a "new person" and having my season being cut out. Then I end up in jail for their murder. Bad thoughts. Sorry. I wish I could say Im kidding.

Edd

I heard its going to be very cold up in the mountains this weekend. Snow up high too. I wouldnt rule anything out. The whole who is first thing always stresses me out. I am such a damn homer. SR always scares me the first day or so. I do it but my head is on a damn swivel. I always fear being taken out by a "new person" and having my season being cut out. Then I end up in jail for their murder. Bad thoughts. Sorry. I wish I could say Im kidding.

Those opening conditions at SR are oddly challenging. Between rusty technique, too many skiers per square foot, snow guns making you blind and deaf, and wildly varying surface conditions you can be forgiven for being nervous.

Riverskier

Their website makes it sound like they're not doing anything this weekend... which one is it lol

Pretty sure BP is just having fun. Anyway, their website does scare me... That said, they never announce their intentions with regard to snowmaking, or usually even that they are making snow once they start making it. Almost impossible to keep it a secret, but it comes out via other sources. And then BAM- they announce they are opening in an hour all stealth like. So, the question is- new more consersative approach, or a stealth attack like usual? I am thinking and hoping for the latter, but I am pulling me hair out in anticipation!

Black Phantom

Pretty sure BP is just having fun. Anyway, their website does scare me... That said, they never announce their intentions with regard to snowmaking, or usually even that they are making snow once they start making it. Almost impossible to keep it a secret, but it comes out via other sources. And then BAM- they announce they are opening in an hour all stealth like. So, the question is- new more consersative approach, or a stealth attack like usual? I am thinking and hoping for the latter, but I am pulling me hair out in anticipation!

Kind of in jest Riv butt I am serious for the reason you so eloquently stated above.

Dragon-Slayer-500x375.jpg

jerryg

The Beast doesn't come in second - No Beasts come in second!

jerryg

A few minutes ago from The Colony land... Still going... :fangun:
FallPics2011120.JPG

snowmonster

Looks like jerryg is in a good position to make turns this afternoon. Go get it, man!

Edit: just got a note from jerryg that Sunday River announced that they will not open. You know what that means, gents: get your boards in your car and drive north this afternoon.

Last edited:

Newpylong

Looks like jerryg is in a good position to make turns this afternoon. Go get it, man!

Edit: just got a note from jerryg that Sunday River announced that they will not open. You know what that means, gents: get your boards in your car and drive north this afternoon.

Not open today or tomorrow / this weekend as well?

o3jeff

They're sand bagging

snowmonster

Trail check?

-w

That or hikers. No word yet on spinning lifts.

If people are skiing it, then there's a good enough base right now that will only improve with a few more hours of pounding. From the pictures, it looks like Upper Sunday Punch is also in play. Impressive. I'm willing to bet that jerryg and BobR will be making turns this afternoon.