• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River improvements for 2019/2020

uphillklimber

On Wednesday, we saw a man setting up a total station, and he had a pole with a key board attached and a large cup or globe on top. He took some readings from the Barker base lodge, then some near the lower Barker lift station, and later, as we were riding up the lift, he was taking readings of each of the poles.

So.... one might suspect something is up with the Barker lift.

machski

On Wednesday, we saw a man setting up a total station, and he had a pole with a key board attached and a large cup or globe on top. He took some readings from the Barker base lodge, then some near the lower Barker lift station, and later, as we were riding up the lift, he was taking readings of each of the poles.

So.... one might suspect something is up with the Barker lift.
I heard a strong and credible rumor/report that if not this coming summer, then absolutely summer 2021 Barker will be replaced. The push at the mountain is for 2020, we will see if Boyne bites on that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bubble Six to keep up with the Joneses?

Would the Barker quad likely be scrapped or rebuilt and moved elsewhere on the mountain or to Loon or Sugarloaf?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Definitely what Newpy said with the Barker Quad. That thing is a nightmare being a Yanoma.

Pretty sure it becomes a Six, unsure if it gets a bubble or heated bubble. Boyne has become keen on those (BS and Stephen has remarked they would look heavily at bubbles where temp appropriate). Powder seeker is considerably shorter at BS so who knows.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

uphillklimber

I took a ride on the covered carpet lifts today (Wind holds and cold out, so why not?). They move fast. I think as yu progress up the hill, they move faster. No more long slow rides up, like the old carpet lift.

skicub

Reposted comments from Trailboss’s thread: Reports out that Big Sky will send a HSQ to replace White Cap Quad.

I predict this will be huge for SR. While a replacement for Barker is essential, a HSQ on white cap will essentially negate the biggest downside to white cap, getting out of WC basin in a hurry. The current white cap quad is at least a 10 minute ride, and when you are trying to get back to South Ridge in a hurry, it’s just not possible with the current Yan. As someone who is always trying to get in “one more run” before I link up with family, this is a game changer. Some may decry that this makes White cap more likely to get skiied off faster, but most of the terrain off this lift is accessible from barker anyways, so that’s mostly moot. This will also allow better flow out of WC on busy days, and gives me a much better option for a place to base myself on busy days. I think White Cap is the most underrated trail pod, and when you consider all three trail pods together, white cap alone could rival some full resorts (Ragged or Sunapee for example). This also means that skiing out from the Summit lodge could get you to South Ridge in about 10 minutes door to door (almost a 20 minute trip now).

As I said before, this will be a game changer, but does not make up for any of the lift replacement woes looming for Barker quad, south ridge express, or other older lifts.

SkiCubby : The original opera singing Skibear
andypapas.com