• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tahoe’s Homewood will not Open in 2024-2025

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yikes. Apparently their “financial backer” will not subsidize operations this year due to concerns of how slow the approval process is going for proposed work. Perhaps sour grapes on their part? It reminds me of the Berry’s closing Saddleback because the State of Maine would not help them with the purchase of a new HSQ. I think that both moves could be seen as “cutting off one’s nose to spite one’s face” as old Vermonters say.

I skied there in 2010. It was my first ski area out west. My sister in law recommended we try it for its old school vibe. The terrain was fun. The views of Lake Tahoe were amazing. You felt as if you were skiing right into the lake. It is at a low elevation relative to other Tahoe areas. Honestly, with the exception of the HSQ, the other lifts and facilities were pretty rough and tired. My wife called the facilities “ghetto.” I understand that not much has changed. They’ve been trying to get their upgrades approved since 2011. And folks thought Vermont permitting was bad…..

crystalmountainskier

They've made a lot of mistakes. The place is terribly run down. Many lifts don't operate on weekdays. Their pricing is crazy. They don't participate in ANY multi-mountain pass. They ordered a new lift and it was delivered before they had approval to install it.

jimk

They ordered a new lift and it was delivered before they had approval to install it.
Is that the gondola? I didn't realize they already had it on hand. Ouch! Hopefully, this is a temporary power play to get approval for the ski area improvements wanted by ownership? I've skied it, very scenic spot.
1359243561_pic4.jpg

2planks2coasts

It's probably the most scenic ski area in Tahoe. Maybe a close second to Diamond Peak. Yeah, it's lower elevation, but that's relative to other Tahoe operators. You won't be skiing in June, but otherwise the snow is great. They really, really should join Indy. Maybe they can sell to the folks who own Mt High, Bear Valley & China Peak.