• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tell me about Windham

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Hunter's Kaatskill Flyer 6 on the main face is listed at 1477 vertical feet. This is hardly a significantly higher number. That said, the terrain at Hunter is much better for advanced skiers when Hunter decides to open it. As mentioned, Windham's terrain is mostly blue.

At one point Windham was a private ski area. It still has some remnants of that time frame. Windham is an IKON partner only - 5 or 7 days only on IKON passes.
It's 11% higher - yes not that signif - just differentiating from Belleayre which is only a few feet higher

Abominable

What is the Wilderness Bowl all about? Good trees? How often do they get enough snow in there?

20 years ago I worked for one of the NYC bus companies and skied Windham every week. It happened to coincide with a historic snow year in the Northeast. As we were skiing three / four days a week and for free (or as part of comp), we spent a lot of time exploring the woods in the Catskills, and that area in the middle of the mountain did yield some nice lines and cool features. But we were there so often, with a crew of NYC ski bums, we could kinda sorta "build" it a bit, set up a log just so for a rail, keep hitting the same line over and over, etc.... fun memories though.

So it's at least theoretically skiable in good years.

urungus

hunter's crowd isn't dark skinned, they are just vinny joey trash in starter jackets, who drink a lot, and fight. i dunno if this is still the case, but was certainly the hunter MO when i skied there in high school. in a rangers starter jacket.
You mean like this guy

catskillman

Ghetto crowd at Hunter? You mean folks whose ancestors were confined to Polish ghettos almost a century ago?
not at all. I was just referencing the term no used at the mountain and on Facebook groups this season. Totally apoligize - I have family ties to very unfortunate living conditions when they immigrated to the US.

catskillman

its a weird use of 'ghetto', mainly because as a pejorative ghetto tends to imply dark skinned. hunter's crowd isn't dark skinned, they are just vinny joey trash in starter jackets, who drink a lot, and fight. i dunno if this is still the case, but was certainly the hunter MO when i skied there in high school. in a rangers starter jacket.
nothing to do with skin color of course.

There still are many many starter jackets, and open beer cans in the lift line before opening. And the smell of pot is distinct. Oh, and then there are the overdoses in the lodge, and a couple of years ago with the liftie at the top of the B lift.

The Epic pass has made this mountain anything but EPIC. And they do not care.

Vail considers the mountain an "urban" mountain. Their term not mine.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I am a Windham supporter. Got a few days each year there when MAX pass was a thing and then again when they re-joined Indy. There's a handful of trails that definitely have decent pitch. They're pretty good about leaving 2-3 bumped up nicely. Good number of glades and they're actually skiable. The mountain bike trails are bonus glades for sure. The bottom half of the mountain is solid low intermediate cruising. 2 peaks and 20 legitimate ways down give or take.

I don't get the flat arguments. Very comparable lift profile to Hunter (although not the West Side of course).

Windham's summit 6: 5,078' run and 1,294' rise
Hunter's Kaatskil Flyer: 5,400' run and 1,477' rise

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Before passes guided my skiing I would usually take a day at Windham over one at Hunter with all factors considered - not just terrain. If Ikon also had a PA option, having Windham instead of Hunter would be a factor making Ikon more appealing.

The problem for me is Ikon lacks anything closer to central NJ, and even if I wanted to drive that far every ski day, limited days at Windham mean it could not cover every day I can't make it as far as VT

Last edited:

Scottyskis2

Great for hiking it's the complete opposite for winter fun in the Catskills in my opinion

John9

I ski Windham a few times a year. The West side has some nice blue runs, and double blacks. Some are groomed, others are bumped. The East side has single blacks and an advanced blue, and green run. Great for groups with mixed abilities.

Upper Wolverine, double black, Winging n It, Why Not, single blacks, are some of my favorites. The grooming, snowmaking, and facilities are high quality. There are some youtube gopro videos, that I think give a good idea of what the sking there is Ike. I have a few posted.

RH29

Storm skiing was recently speculating that a major round of consolidation was likely to begin in the industry. I could totally see Alterra eating up Windham.