• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tenney Mountain to open this year

Justin10

Not too sure if this is old news, but I searched here and didn't see anything about it....

Tenney Mountain will be operating this year. Just thursdays through mondays except for the busy vacation weeks. Not necessarily huge news, but another option for the local people that dont want to wait in Loon's lines on the weekends/holidays...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Seems clear that the ownership is not interested in running a ski area, but focusing on real estate instead....

AdironRider

If this place isnt on Nelsap within 2 years its an act of divine intervention. Run by complete morons.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This is similar operation to Pico this year, right? Unfortunately, whether this is a good business and financial decision or not, it completely reinforces the idea that Tenney is a second tier mountain. Haystack did the weekend only thing for a while. They are only taking two days off, but I would hate to be the customer that drives up to Tenney on a Tuesday or Wednesday only to have to drive back out the Tenney Mountain Highway and head north because the lift wasn't running.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
It's a better thing to operate 5 days per weeek than to not operate at all. It does surprise me that they're operating on Mondays but not Tuesday-Wednesdays - Mondays tend to be the slowest days of the week unless you discount your tickets a lot.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wonder if season passes are going to be dirt cheap?

Edit: yes. $299. And is there still night skiing?

AdironRider

Operating on a partial schedule makes absolutely no sense for a stand alone mtn like Tenney. Killington/Pico can do it cause well, Killington is right next door and theyre both owned by the same company, so if Picos closed, you mosey on over to Killington and the company still gets your money. However, Tenney does not have this type of infastructure. Not that 10e was ever really a destination resort, but people arent going to waste their time staying near 10e if theyre going to have to travel to other mtns midweek. Theyre just going to go somewhere else for the duration of their stay. That in conjunction with scorned customers who do make the trek there only to be turned away, plus the negative publicity, leaves the mtn in dire straights if you ask me. Im actually going to drop my prediction, this is the last season Tenney will be open under current ownership. Nelsap here they come.

ajl50

Seems clear that the ownership is not interested in running a ski area, but focusing on real estate instead....

like interwest...that's pretty much the only reason most ski area's are open.
I can count the ski area's that aren't interested in selling real estate on my hands.

millerm277

I can count the ski area's that aren't interested in selling real estate on my hands.

Yes, but there's a difference between wanting to sell real estate, and making it be your sole focus, only improving the ski area when it's necessary to sell the real estate.

snoseek

Yes, but there's a difference between wanting to sell real estate, and making it be your sole focus, only improving the ski area when it's necessary to sell the real estate.

yeah right, you gotta have the ski area running full speed to make the real estate worth anything. I hope these people come around and fix the place up.

skier90

What does Tenny have that can make it a successful area? It can’t be a feeder hill for southern NH and Boston area with competition from Crotched and Pats. Loon is just up the highway along with Waterville, plus its low vert. holds it back from a destination resort. It has even more competition for day-trippers. So what can tenny do to make its self stand out?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Tenney can stand out as a cheap and affordable family mountain with solid cruisers that are generally narrow, windy, and filled with character. Tenney lacks pitch and I disagree that it skis bigger than its vertical, I actually think if anything, it skis smaller than its vertical. Black skis bigger than Tenney. I think it really can corner the cheap family destination market with its northerly bigger neighbors having higher prices and ridiculous crowds. For most families, Tenney has it all at an affordable price.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com

Excluding the state run hills(Sunapee is state owned but privately run) I can only come up with MRG, although Wildcat would if it was allowed. There are a bunch of mid-sized hills but as far as major hills these are the only two I can think of. A small list for sure. Others?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
MRG may not be directly interested in selling real estate but there is a lot of real estate around MRG. Wildcat, Cannon, and Sunapee are by default real estate free, although expansion to Mittersill could change that for Cannon. Small to Mid-sized mountains don't tend to be real estate focused but Tenney is a definite exception with a strong Condo base and potentially larger base area and real estate development. Hopefully Tenney management can get things going on the mountain enough to make the real estate a worth while investment to keep the mountain going strong. This could be an make or break year or two for Tenney. Why would real estate investors roll the dice on Tenney when similar slope side developments are popping up everywhere at stable mountains. Look at Burke, at least with a company like Ginn, you know they have money and mean business.