• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thanksgiving 11/22/18

Krikaya

Couldn't find any other threads about skiing on Thanksgiving on AZ and I know most people don't even give it a thought but with the cold temps and natural snow I'm jonesin to get out even for just a few hours. Going to pick up my new skis today and can't wait to tear up the bases on the early season minimal cover trails:smile:

Here's what I learned:

Bretton Woods---open 9-3:30 tickets $32 maybe 2 lifts 9-10 trails
Wildcat----------open Hours ? tickets ? lifts ? trails?
Mt snow---------open Hours tickets lifts trails ???
Stratton---------possibly open ????????????????

Anybody know any details for others? What would you rather do on Turkey Day? Argue politics with your Uncle Fred or get the first few runs of the season in?

drjeff

Mount Snow has now had over 10" fall since the lifts closed on Sunday afternoon. Even before that, they were already able to drop a few ropes on some natural trails on Sunday.

My hunch is that not too long after 1st chair tomorrow, when patrol gets out and checks things on some trails, that their trail count will be closer to 50(if not more) than 25, and far greater than the 15 or so they closed with on Sunday

My crew is doing Mount Snow on Friday and Sunday, and then going to Killington on Saturday to watch the Women's World Cup Giant Slalom :flag::flag:

slatham

Stratton opens Wednesday for sure.
Bromley Friday.

Wildcat was 90% open on Sunday, so with more snow.....

Agree with Dr Jeff that once areas open/re-open and patrol gets out that it is highly likely some natural trails get open. Maybe many.....

Its the earliest that thanksgiving can be, yet it just might be the best thanksgiving in decades!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Mount Snow is going to be the clear winner... probably gonna have most of the mountain open save for Sunbrook and some select other trails.

Stratton may get as much snow but no way in hell they drop many ropes.

Someone on here posted pics of them in the trees at Bretton so that might be another good choice.

WWF-VT

I'll be skiing at Sugarbush Thursday morning even though it will likely be in the single digits for temperature. Looks like the Valley House, Super Bravo and Heaven's Gate chairs are likely to be running with more trails opening on Friday/Saturday.

machski

Sunday River currently has 45 trails open (mix of machne made and natural stuff) with just Barker and Chondi open. Not sure of the lift plan for Thanksgiving day itself, but they are working towards and all but promising Barker/Locke/Spruce/Chondi/SouthRidge and Aurora for the weekend!! Possibly even White Cap Quad as snowmaking has been noted on Roadrunner already. I believe Camp in the summit has Thanksgiving dinner during the day so it is possble they are trying to have ski in-ski out from the hotel (no promises, but with the natural assist and deep cold coming tomorrow, could happen).

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

Wildcat has 43 out of 48 trails - No one else even comes close....

Opening 7 days/week starting Thursday :razz:

Glenn

Stratton may get as much snow but no way in hell they drop many ropes.

They surprised us a few years ago when we had that good storm Wednesday/Thursday of Thanksgiving. They had quite a bit open and a few trails didn't have much under the fresh snow. I imagine they'll be blowing snow with the colder temps over the next few days.

2Planker

% open for sure. Actual trails and acreage, they won't be tops, sorry.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

it's a LOT more honest reporting than SR.... Upper, Middle, Lower _______ = 3 trails is a JOKE
Snow Report is also way more honest. Never afraid to use the R word or tell it like it is

Smellytele

% open for sure. Actual trails and acreage, they won't be tops, sorry.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Acreage is deceiving as are all numbers including % open when comparing area to area.
Acreage is because some areas measure it border to border. Some only trails and then some places have very wide trails.
Trials open is because some areas have long trails some have trails broken into small sections
% open is obvious why it is deceiving when comparing area to area.

Krikaya

Wildcat has 43 out of 48 trails - No one else even comes close....

Opening 7 days/week starting Thursday :razz:

This sounds too good to be true! The 4000' elevation is key. Glad I have my boot warmers.

Just reserved a ticket for thursday through the Wildcat mountain store site for $37.99. Thanks for the info 2Planker. I couldn't get anything from Peaks website. This weekend at wildcat is gonna be crazy.

chuckstah

I'll be at Mt Snow for midweek opening day tomorrow. Maybe Wildcat Friday? Mad River Is really tempting for Saturday, but really can't skip any more work. It's a different experience with no bumps anywhere.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Edd

I'll be at Mt Snow for midweek opening day tomorrow. Maybe Wildcat Friday? Mad River Is really tempting for Saturday, but really can't skip any more work. It's a different experience with no bumps anywhere.

Sent you a PM.

Los

Mad River???

jg17

Figuring out plans still, but hoping to get in 3 days Fri/Sat/Sun. Likely some combination of Hunter and Snow, but waiting to see what the reports say tomorrow and what friends are planning before committing to anything.