• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2011-2012 Ski Area Improvement Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
So we've had numerous threads, but what improvements are on the boards at your local resort?

From what I have heard, I know of these projects:

• Burke Mountain: I am hearing from numerous reliable sources that Burke is going all the way and installing a HSQ to the summit from MidBurke. Word has it that it is a second-hand lift from a resort that recently shuttered its doors being installed by Doppelmayr/CTEC.
  • Mount Snow: They are installing the Northeast's newest six pack with bubbles. IIRC Poma is doing this one. Correct me if I am wrong....
  • Jay Peak: Other than completing their massive base area work, I recall confirmation that Bonaventure is going to be replaced and maybe Jet.
  • Stowe: Yes, Stowe. Forerunner is going to be retrofitted after a 27 year stint. Not bad for a first generation Doppelmayr cadence chain high speed quad that broke down on its first day and broke down often.
  • Sugarloaf: Brackett Basin expanded, new fixed grip quad with conveyor belt on Spillway. They are also having Doppelmayr/CTEC modernize SuperQuad.
What else is there? Wildcat? Saddleback? Sunday River?

Angus

It will be interesting to see what Wildcat does - I'm assuming big upgrade in snow-making. How much water does Wildcat have to draw from? I hope they don't widen trails but probably not possible without significant filings due to location.

drjeff

[*]Mount Snow: They are installing the Northeast's newest six pack with bubbles. IIRC Poma is doing this one. Correct me if I am wrong....?

Yup, Leitner-Poma is building/installing the bubble 6 pack, as well as building new chairs, with footrests and working on the base terminal of the Grand Summit Express

dmc

Hunter Mountain replacing 2 old double chairs with the old quad.. potential new trail design and woods thinning for the glades set..

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I took my last lift ride at Blue with Jim Daly and his crew. On the way up, I'm pretty sure he mentioned upgraded (automated) snowmaking on Lazy Mile and thinning out more glades areas were targets they were looking at, but they didn't sit down to do a budget yet. I was pretty drunk at the time, he mentioned more, but it's all pretty hazy now.

Puck it

It will be interesting to see what Wildcat does - I'm assuming big upgrade in snow-making. How much water does Wildcat have to draw from? I hope they don't widen trails but probably not possible without significant filings due to location.

They draw from the pond in front on the Tomcat chair load. It is not big but gets fed continously though. They will not widen any trials. They have have to file to clear blown down.

Puck it

Is Cannon a mob scene on mid-winter weekends? looked at a map and it seems like it is right off 93 so i'd suspect a lot of day traffic from MA?

Most days no. It can be crowded on holiday weeks but not lime Loon.

gmcunni

Most days no. It can be crowded on holiday weeks but not lime Loon.

never been to loon. a buddy has access to a house in S NH. we hit Ragged/Sunapee (no more due to crowds)/Pats and Crotched when we go but i'm thinking a day trip further north next year might be fun

Puck it

never been to loon. a buddy has access to a house in S NH. we hit Ragged/Sunapee (no more due to crowds)/Pats and Crotched when we go but i'm thinking a day trip further north next year might be fun

If you do next year, let me know. I will gladly show you around. Btw - did you get the t- nuts?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Burke Mountain: I am hearing from numerous reliable sources that Burke is going all the way and installing a HSQ to the summit from MidBurke. Word has it that it is a second-hand lift from a resort that recently shuttered its doors being installed by Doppelmayr/CTEC.

There has been a lot of buzz about this "new lift" around the mtn the last couple weeks. :)

Burke is also installing a 175' tall wind turbine near the summit that will hopefully generate up to 15% of the mtn's power. It will apparently be similar to the one at Bolton.

EPB

Its been a long time since I heard any mention of the new Bonaventure lift at Jay Peak. TB mentioned it to start the discussion, but does anybody familiar with the situation have any more info?

As a side note, I've found a solution to the New York state law that prohibits trail mileage from exceeding a seemingly arbitrary distance: clear cut. :D

thetrailboss

Staff member
There has been a lot of buzz about this "new lift" around the mtn the last couple weeks. :)

Still not seeing anything in the Act 250 database...but it must be in if they are going to do anything this summer.

Burke is also installing a 175' tall wind turbine near the summit that will hopefully generate up to 15% of the mtn's power. It will apparently be similar to the one at Bolton.

Now THAT sounds hideous and ironic, considering that Ginn worked so hard to shut down the East Mountain project...going so far as to buy the rights.

Black Phantom

If you do next year, let me know. I will gladly show you around. Btw - did you get the t- nuts?

deez-nuts-rep-your-hood.jpg