• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The healthiest city in America

ComeBackMudPuddles

It's in your backyard.....Burlington!! Who wudda thunk it?

Burlington, Vt., is healthiest city, CDC says
By MIKE STOBBE, AP Medical Writer Mike Stobbe, Ap Medical Writer Sun Nov 16, 12:29 pm ET

What's the healthiest city in America? It appears to be Burlington, Vt.

Vermont's largest city is tops among U.S. metropolitan areas by having the largest proportion of people — 92 percent — who say they are in good or great health.

It's also among the best in exercise and among the lowest in obesity, diabetes and other measures of ill health, according to a recent report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

This New England city of 40,000, on the shores of Lake Champlain, is in some ways similar to the unhealthiest city — Huntington, W.Va. Both are out-of-the-way college towns with populations that are overwhelmingly white people of English, German or Irish ancestry.

But there the similarities end:

_Burlington is younger, with an average age of 37, compared to 40 in Huntington, according to the Census Bureau.

_Burlington is better off financially, with 8 percent living at the federal poverty level, compared to 19 percent in Huntington.

_It's much more educated, with nearly 40 percent of area residents having at least a college bachelor's degree. Only 15 percent in the Huntington area do.

The cultures are significantly different, too. Bicycling, hiking, skiing and other exercises are common in Burlington. Neighborhood groups commonly focus on improving parks, working in community gardens and repairing and improving sidewalks.

"There's this norm of a lot of activity," said Chris Finley, Vermont's deputy health commissioner, who works in Burlington.

And though college staples like pizza are common, healthier foods are also popular. Grass-fed beef is offered in finer restaurants, vegan options are plentiful, and the lone downtown supermarket is run by a co-op successful in selling bulk rice and other healthy choices to low-income residents.

Burlington is helped by the presence of IBM and other employers offering more generous health benefits and corporate wellness programs than companies in Huntington, some experts suggested.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, for one thing I am skeptical of this because it is based on a survey that people complete. It is not really objective...only based on how people feel about themselves. In this case, 90 some-odd percent of those surveyed said that they feel healthy. It isn't really scientific.

That said, BTV is a nice place...but the GF and I have noted that lately it seems to be slipping with more trash in the streets, troublemakers, etc.

Geoff

The animated obesity rate map of the US the CDC put out is like watching a horror movie. Mississippi, Alabama, and Tennessee are up over 30% obesity rate.

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/maps/

In my experience, the Burlington population number is skewed by out of state college students declaring Vermont as their residence to get the break on tuition. When the 'city' has such a small population, adding a bunch of 20-year-olds to the population who don't 'really' live there messes up the statistics. I'd expect the numbers for Chittenden County are pretty good but nowhere near as good as Burlington.

frozencorn

My four years of college, what with the booze, smokes, and late night stops at Manhattan Pizza weren't exactly "healthy." Then again, you were taking your health into your own hands every time you stepped into the bathroom of the Last Chance or the Blarney Stone.

thetrailboss

Staff member
In my experience, the Burlington population number is skewed by out of state college students declaring Vermont as their residence to get the break on tuition. When the 'city' has such a small population, adding a bunch of 20-year-olds to the population who don't 'really' live there messes up the statistics. I'd expect the numbers for Chittenden County are pretty good but nowhere near as good as Burlington.

Exactly. Take a walk around the University Mall in South Burlington and you see a different scene...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I read yesterday that the unhealthiest place is some place in West Virginia. Everybody there is mad fat and toothless.

I hate saying it and I had moved to WV with an open mind, but I found most of the stereotypes regarding it's residents true in my time there.

The exceptions were in and around the whitewater enthusiast centers and Morgantown where WVU is. If I had to guess, like Burlington, much of the populous isn't 'from' those areas though.

I believe it..not many obese people in Burlington...just like Boulder Colorado..alot of affluent people move there from other places and live an organic/healthy lifestyle. Where I live over 2/3 of the people are overweight and almost half are obese..fried foods and fattening spanish and PA dutch foods are everyday staples..there aren't many bicycle paths and people ride motorcycles with no helmets..

Since Burlington is such a desirable place to live..housing prices and rentals are high and wages are relatively low..where I live it's far less desireable so housing prices are low and wages are moderate..

Burlington has the ghetto on the Northside with plenty of toothless meth addicts..kind of like in West Virginia, Pennsyltucky, Montucky and almost everywhere else..but they are organic eating toothless meth addicts who think locally but act globally..

nelsapbm

Not exactly.

Hippies? Na....more like Mr. & Mrs. Joe Schmo coming into the big city of Burlington from the hinterlands. Besides, the Umall does not have an arcade any more ;)

However, both living and working in greater Burlington, I find that most people that live here are pretty fit and health conscious. As GSS mentioned above, lots of folks live the "organic" lifestyle, bike to work, partake in lots of outdoorsy/athletic activities etc. The area also has a very wide and well used network of recreation paths. Everyone needs to take a bike ride on the Colchester Causeway on a nice summer day at some point in their lifetime ;) (and don't forget your camera).

Though there are fit and obese people everywhere, I do notice that when I leave Chittenden County and/or visit the mall or the Williston big boxes on the weekends though, I see a different story.

It stinks that there is no longer an arcade at the University Mall..ba ba ba BS..but I haven't been there in 7 years.