• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The New Indiana Jones Movie

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know this thread may be a bit late, but the GF and I watched the latest Indiana Jones movie last night on DVD. We'd heard mixed reviews. What did you think?

Overall, whoa. We were not impressed. Harrison Ford did a good job, but the acting overall was sub-par, the plot too fantastical and it looked more like an X-File movie than Indiana Jones. Lots of things that were just too farfetched (KGB officers in America? Russian Military taking over a New Mexico Nuclear Arms base with no resistance?).

It seems that Steven Spielberg has not been putting out what he used too....

SkiDork

I think all these movies are now trying to follow the same sort of formula like National Treasure for some reason.

RISkier

Thought it was OK entertainment. Not nearly as good as the originals. I think renting or waiting for on demand is a good call.

MR. evil

It sucked!

do a search for the recent south park episode where they make fun of that movie. The South Park guys really hit the nail on the head.

drjeff

Picked it up while shopping at BJ's Saturday (on sale for $14.19 there). I figured since that's one of the staple series that my wife watches when she just wants some idle background noise while doing some work, why not.

Probably check it out tommorrow night when there's no baseball and/or Monday Night Football on TV.

ComeBackMudPuddles

The problem with remakes that come out 20 years after the originals, like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, is that we compare the feeling we get from watching them today as adults against the feeling we got from watching the originals as kids. As an adult, of course you're not going to think the movies are great films. As kids, though, nothing was cooler than the originals.

IMHO, only the first Indiana movie was "great". Watching them as an adult, the second one is kind of irritating and the third one is kind of bloated.

MR. evil

Is it just me or was this summer a terrible one for movies (except the Batman movie)?

It was pretty bad. But like you said Batman was awsome and another movie that was really good was Tropic Thunder with Ben Stiller and Robert Downey Jr.

cbcbd

The problem with remakes that come out 20 years after the originals, like Star Wars and Indiana Jones, is that we compare the feeling we get from watching them today as adults against the feeling we got from watching the originals as kids. As an adult, of course you're not going to think the movies are great films. As kids, though, nothing was cooler than the originals.

IMHO, only the first Indiana movie was "great". Watching them as an adult, the second one is kind of irritating and the third one is kind of bloated.
I agree. The movie did kinda follow the same format as the old ones (c'mon, like everything in the first 3 were completely believable). It's hard to really judge it much older now and I would like to interview some 8 year olds who saw it and see what they thought.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I agree. The movie did kinda follow the same format as the old ones (c'mon, like everything in the first 3 were completely believable). It's hard to really judge it much older now and I would like to interview some 8 year olds who saw it and see what they thought.

Well, it just seemed a bit too fantastical when compared to the others....certainly you are right about the POV. But when I watch The Last Crusade recently, I still thought it was a good movie.