• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/19-12/20 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Perhaps starting such a thread this early may jinx it; or maybe the Snow Gods are listening. In any event, feel free to discuss:

ctenidae

Man, that was a woolybooger! 36 inches on (insert your favorite mountain), and it's still falling! Not only that, my free lift tickets just came in the mail, and my boss said I could take two days off!

Oh, wait, I was dreaming. Gotta lay off the double pepperoni and onion pizzas before bed...

Zand

This one's looking big. Some stations are already starting to compare it to '78. Plus, there's another one forecasted to come next Wednesday night-Thursday. Looks like a white Christmas for this year. Thanks, mommy of nature.

swade2469

Something is up

I have been seeing the reports, its old news by now, they now the pattern is there, they have known for about a day now and the thing is still in the pacific. Now it is just a waiting game. Whatever it is will slam into the cold front and just get clotheslined, start spinng harder and boom. I think it just depends on where in the front the energy slams through. Towards Texas, it gets thrown up shallow and go right over us, Get thrown over Tn, nails Georgia in the corner and gets wrapped up and tossed north offshore of the cape. I have a feeling it could be bad**s.

skijay

Maybe it will be like the storm form 2/17/03 (I think that is the date). All I know is I drove back from Mont Orford the day it started.

ChileMass

swade2469 said:
What was 78' like?

The '78 blizzard was great. I was a freshman at SUNY Albany and the snow started Monday as I got out of class. I waited for a bus for over 2 hours to take me back downtown to my dorm while the snow piled up on my head. It didn't stop for 3 days and we got 30" on my street. It took another 2 days to dig out, so we missed a week of school. Meanwhile, the dorm was warm, the cafeteria ran all night, a young entrepreneur in the basement of my dorm had a soda machine filled up with 12-oz cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon (35 cents apiece) and the 3rd floor was all women. Hmmmm......like I said, the Blizzard of '78 was a blast.......

E

EastCoastRipper

Yeah, the word is out. I know that all the New England utility companies have got there heads up... Thats a good sign, BRING IT ON!!!

bvibert

Staff member
This is the first I've heard of this, lets hope it turns out good! I was just a baby during the '78 blizzard so I don't really remember it, but the pictures sure looked good! :D

dmc

Bring it!!!!!

Hunter Mountain has expanded snowmaking to the West Side..... If we get a good dumping - the whole mountain is going to be rideable!!!!

And some woods lines will be good too... There's already a base building up on some aspects... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

pepperdawg

Next week is shaping up to be most excellent.......

DMC - the question is will you be on 1 stick or 2 in those Huntah woods??? :D

Never heard if your 'alpine advuntures last weekend panned out or not.??

dmc

pepperdawg said:
Next week is shaping up to be most excellent.......

DMC - the question is will you be on 1 stick or 2 in those Huntah woods??? :D

Never heard if your 'alpine advuntures last weekend panned out or not.??

I'll stick to one stick in the trees.....
Had a blast on skis last weekend... Will try again this weekend... :)

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Zand said:
This one's looking big. Some stations are already starting to compare it to '78.

Weathermen will do ANYTHING for ratings.

Seriously, this thing could fizzle, and then they'll report on the bad reporting. I'm sick of the modern "journalist".

/rant

Bring on the White Christmas, baby!!! w00t! I'd LOVE it if the first thing I had to do in my (soon-to-be) new house was buy a snowblower!

-Stephen

Vortex

It's just nice to hope. We have not had much of that except the way northern Resorts. X-mass to New Years Off in the mountains. A monday- tues storm followed by... wed -Thurs would be perfect. Dad's Christmas wish is now in motion. :beer:

dmc

1237715020418bd1f52e64e.jpg

wow - I thought I could find political peace in this forum.... Guess I was wrong..
bummer....

skijay

The local forecasters can not predict what will happen Sun - Mon - Tues BUT they can seem to predict the next storm on Christmas Eve. I do not get it.

I wil not say what they said as it is negative. (drip drip)

B

beswift

Blizzard of '78: Cross country skiing along Boylston Street in Copley Sq., Boston.

loafer89

From the latest that I heard from our local (Long Island) bureau of the NWS, is that the forecasters are a little fustrated at this point, because the two pieces of energy that are to phase together to form this storm are currently over areas of the world Nunuvat (Greenland) and Eastern Russia that are sparsly populated and provide little data. So the models are assembeling a 989 MB cut off low over the southeast US with very little realtime data to work with. I realy hope that all pans out and we get blasted with snow for Christmas. I plan to go up to Hunter Mtn again this saturday, before the "storm" hits. This early forecasting reminds me of the March 1993 superstorm, which was forecast days in advance and was very severe for the whole East Coast.

Zand

Uh oh, looks like the storm might go out to sea. Either that, or the weathermen heard us and are trying the counter-karma.

Bastardi still thinks it will be big. Cross your fingers that the weathermen are wrong!

Greg

Staff member
It's still too early. I wouldn't bet any any forecast further out than 24 hours this time of year...