• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: An Orion Thanksgiving #2

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm sure that no one is surprised that I'm also posting an Orion Thanksgiving thread.

So here's my details

Meat: Fresh Ham
Weight: 20.5
Rub: McCormick Pork rub
Wood Chips: Hickory
Liquid in drip pan: None
Liquid in Root: Coffee, heck it was 8AM!

Prep: Not much going on here. I had some left over McCormick pork rub from a previous rib burn and just put it on any non-flesh areas of the ham.

Cook time: 3 hours. It really needed 4 hours. My mother showed up at my house an hour early and wanted to hit the road to get down to my grandparents place. I had to finish the ham in Gramps's oven to hit 160F in the center.

Results: Flavor was amazing, but I thought the ham was a little on the dry side. I don't think anyone in my family really noticed (or knew any better). I would really like to do another fresh ham, but cook it to 195F for pulled pork, but it needs to be much smaller then 20lbs!

Anyway, enjoy the pics!

e021f339.jpg

53b85371.jpg

37c9bba0.jpg

effd486b.jpg

236cf558.jpg

4b305f4e.jpg

db18c8c5.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
20.5 # ham/leg is not HUGE, but pretty darn big. One's I deal with bone in are around 15. You must have hella left ofters.

Curious, you first say you thought it could have gone for 4 hours, but then said it was a little dry? I'm assuming that means had you could have, you would have lowered the temp and let it go an hour longer. How do you control temp like that in smoker?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I don't really worry about controlling temp as a convection process helps the cooking along. Most of the moisture generated by the cooking process, stays inside the cooking chamber, which helps maintain the moistness.

It was a little dry because I finished it in my grandfathers oven. When I cook briskets, I add extra liquids into the drip pan.

drjeff

There will NOT be a 3rd Orion Thanksgiving TR, as I was a slacker and let my mother cook the bird old school in an oven :eek: ;) Definately not a bad thing as the smell of Turkey filled the air the moment I stepped into my parents place :)