• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: December Ribs

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Meat: Baby Back Pork Spare Ribs
Rub: Jake's Grillin Pork Rub
Wood Chips: Hickory & Cherry
Liquid in drip pan: None

Prep: Nothing fancy here. Removed the membrane off the back side of the ribs. Covered both sides with rub and let them sit on the counter for an hour. Lined the drip pan with foil and used a few handfuls of hickory and cherry wood chips.

Cook time: Slightly over an hour in the Orion. After I pulled them out, I seared both sides on the propane grill after covering in BBQ sauce. On a side note, my sauce brush is missing so I used a rubber spatula to get the sauce on them. I need a new brush fast!

Results: Fantastic flavor. With the heavy winds going on at the start of the cook, I probabily should have left them in the Orion for another 10 minutes, as they were not exactly "fall of the bone" as they were "pull off the bone" My mistake. Fortunately, they were not tough or undercooked. Amazing flavor...whole kitchen smells like BBQ right now.

Pictures:
12-12Ribs01.jpg

12-12Ribs03.jpg

12-12Ribs05.jpg

12-12Ribs08.jpg

12-12Ribs09.jpg

12-12Ribs10.jpg

12-12Ribs11.jpg

Final Product:
12-12Ribs12.jpg

12-12Ribs13.jpg

WoodCore

Nicely done!! I plan on firing up my Orion tomorrow, going to do a whole chicken again w/ mesquite and whiskey chips.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Thanks guys. Just beware of the smaller turkey cooker that is sold at Lowes, as it doesn't come with the rib hangers. Buy.com had it on sale for a while for $99 and it pops up on Woot every now and then.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Ah, I see. Cause it's def a must when you are cooking open air. I'm intrigued by this device and compelled to acquire one, and I don't know why I'm using this rather obscure language.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Ah, I see. Cause it's def a must when you are cooking open air. I'm intrigued by this device and compelled to acquire one, and I don't know why I'm using this rather obscure language.
You trying to turn this basic meat cooking thing into some hoity-toity business?

drjeff

Nope. Plenty of moisture in the cooking chamber. Can add some apple juice or beer if you're looking for some extra.

I'll vouch for the moisture factor too! The Orion is really an impressive (and EASY) cooking machine. It's seriously just as simple as season the meat with whatever you want. Add a few of your favorite type of wood chips if you so choose. Fill the ring with about 15lbs of charcoal. Add fire. Return at the recommended cooking time. Voila, really tasty, tender, whatever you decided to cook meat :)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'll vouch for the moisture factor too! The Orion is really an impressive (and EASY) cooking machine. It's seriously just as simple as season the meat with whatever you want. Add a few of your favorite type of wood chips if you so choose. Fill the ring with about 15lbs of charcoal. Add fire. Return at the recommended cooking time. Voila, really tasty, tender, whatever you decided to cook meat :)
I know right? Cleanup is pretty simple as well. About every 5 cooks I give the whole inside a through scrub down with some bar keepers friend. Otherwise, everything that actually touches the food just goes into the dishwasher.

Ribs are hit and miss on adding moisture. Sometime I do, sometimes I don't.
Brisket & Corned Beef is a must.
Pulled pork, no but if I had a flavor injector, I'd use that instead.
Chicken, not necessary but I like the flavor it brings to the party