• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR:Killington-Pico 1/25-28-2014

jaysunn

So we headed up to K - Pico for some hiking and sliding. Saturday we hiked up the Sherburne trail, part of the AT/LT. It was snowing at the time, like 2:00PM EST. My Fiance' impressed me with no crying or whining, we made it to the top :)

Sherry-Pico-2.jpg

Had a great dinner at choices Steak house on K mountain road, I highly recommend it. I boarded on Monday since I wanted no crowds, I had the mountain to myself, I really have to give Killington staff a shoutout, place was perfect. It seemed like it snowed all Monday, whiteout at some points.

K in all it's glory.
K1-5.jpg

Snow:
K1-1.jpg

All in all it was a great long weekend called in sick on Tuesday since I wanted to ride the groomed snow.

K1-7.jpg

Snow-K1.jpg

We had a great time and conditions were excellent, head up if you can.

Jaysunn

marebear

Great shots. I love Killington. Go every year but, unfortunately, not this season. Thanks for the vicarious views..makes me happy!:spin:

marebear

Couldn't agree more! Been going to the Back Behind since the 80's. The owners are down to earth,hard workin' folks. The food and BBQ never disappoint! Always a treat. The history of the building is interesting. They were devastated by hurricane Irene(as was most of the region), but rebuilt and are as good as ever! Do not miss this spot.

Wavewheeler

Totally agree! We went to Back Behind twice when we were at K a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it is only open Thursday-Monday so we went both Thursday and Friday. The food is worth every penny and reasonably priced and the owners are really nice. :thumbup:

Only regret foodwise is the Wobbly Barn. They just can't do a steak rare and now they charge extra for their salad bar. :thumbdown: It's officially off our list. We liked the sushi place though.:)

marebear

Again, we are in agreement here. The Wobbly Barn was a 1st night traditional stop for us to begin our Killington vaca every year. Then we would go to dance and party at least once during our stay. Went a few years back and took friends who had never eaten there. I talked the place up as the unofficial ambassador to the area(I swear I know parts of Vermont better than my hometown) and was actually apologizing during dinner. The prices were much higher,menu changed(not for the better)AND THE FOOD~not good. The famous salad bar,not so newsworthy at an additional charge. I know things have to change and costs go up,but that tradition has come to an end. I felt like a real "Touron" even being in that place. Real ripoff. Like you,we went to The Back Behind twice and had 2 great meals.

jaysunn

@wavewheeler

I love to combine hiking with skiing. Did you snowshoe?

I wished I packed them, the snow was much deeper than expected. Also I had a rip along the sole of my hiking boots, I figured this out half way up. So feet were cold!!!!

As for the food, where is backbehind located? Is it on the access road? As for Wobbly, they have been off our list for a while when it comes to steak.

EDIT: I see the location of backbehind from the website, thanks.

Last edited:

marebear

"Touron" = tourist + moron? LOL, I like it!

This term is used rather frequently on the K Zone forum. It seemed fitting for my post,but I don't like it. Let's just say folks that have the resources to have a home mountain like Killington love to bash non pass holders and have many delightful labels for them. Like ive stated before, I love Vermont and have visited all of the Northeast hiking and kayaking,but I sure am tired of being lumped in as one of "them". They want the mountain up and running,but don't grasp the fact that Tourons spend $$$ and help to keep it that way. Rant over.

C-Rex

This term is used rather frequently on the K Zone forum. It seemed fitting for my post,but I don't like it. Let's just say folks that have the resources to have a home mountain like Killington love to bash non pass holders and have many delightful labels for them. Like ive stated before, I love Vermont and have visited all of the Northeast hiking and kayaking,but I sure am tired of being lumped in as one of "them". They want the mountain up and running,but don't grasp the fact that Tourons spend $$$ and help to keep it that way. Rant over.

I hear you. I understand the local's feelings about tourists that come in and act like they own the place. They feel like their money gives them some sort of entitlement, and they have no respect for the fact that those places are also the local's homes. However, it does annoy me to be lumped in with those types. I have a huge respect for the locals, and especially the people who work to make our time there special. I always take the time to thank people, like snow makers for instance, for what they do for the mountains. I always tip big, and above all I'm super polite. I was told once by a lady working in a gas station that she mistook me for a local because I said please and thank you. That's just sad.

jaysunn

@marebear
I love Vermont and have visited all of the Northeast hiking and kayaking,but I sure am tired of being lumped in as one of "them". They want the mountain up and running,but don't grasp the fact that Tourons spend $$$ and help to keep it that way. Rant over.

I completely understand.

marebear

I hear you. I understand the local's feelings about tourists that come in and act like they own the place. They feel like their money gives them some sort of entitlement, and they have no respect for the fact that those places are also the local's homes. However, it does annoy me to be lumped in with those types. I have a huge respect for the locals, and especially the people who work to make our time there special. I always take the time to thank people, like snow makers for instance, for what they do for the mountains. I always tip big, and above all I'm super polite. I was told once by a lady working in a gas station that she mistook me for a local because I said please and thank you. That's just sad.

I also understand the "Local's" point of view. And, like yourself, I am respectful,thankful and friendly. Over the years, I have met many cool folks and I would say my experience has been positive. I don't enjoy seeing "Don't Jersey Vermont" bumper stickers displayed in lift stations(one at gondola mid station @ Killington and a few other lifts). Seems to be acceptable,which is a shame and,frankly, insulting.I have dumped a lot of money there over a few decades. BUT: I am not so narcissistic or insecure to care enough to take it personal or stop enjoying Vermont and the awesome people Ive met there. Im sure there have been many reasons for their feelings about certain out of state visitors.I just have to win peeps over with my sparkling personality and riding skills once they discover I'm from Joisey.

Wavewheeler

Here at the Jersey Shore, we locals are in a similar situation..a love-hate relationship with the tourists who come down here to the beaches during the summer season. A mixed blessing to be sure, as many are rude and they clog the roads,restaurants, beaches, etc. Of course they are vital to the economy and that is appreciated. That said, we who live here breathe a sigh of relief after Labor Day when things get back to normal and I myself tend to avoid the tourist hang outs and go a beach that locals go to. As far as I'm concerned, NJ is way too congested in general and I'm looking forward to relocating in a few years to get away from that and other aspects I dislike.

The term we used is "Benny"..which supposedly describes the towns that are on the train line that tourists from the north use, although nowadays they all seem to drive.

Bayonne
Elizabeth
Newark
New
York. ;)

Bene288

Here at the Jersey Shore, we locals are in a similar situation..a love-hate relationship with the tourists who come down here to the beaches during the summer season. A mixed blessing to be sure, as many are rude and they clog the roads,restaurants, beaches, etc. Of course they are vital to the economy and that is appreciated. That said, we who live here breathe a sigh of relief after Labor Day when things get back to normal and I myself tend to avoid the tourist hang outs and go a beach that locals go to. As far as I'm concerned, NJ is way too congested in general and I'm looking forward to relocating in a few years to get away from that and other aspects I dislike.

The term we used is "Benny"..which supposedly describes the towns that are on the train line that tourists from the north use, although nowadays they all seem to drive.

Bayonne
Elizabeth
Newark
New
York. ;)

My uncle always talks about the "Bennys" In Elizabeth. Jersey gets a bad wrap. I enjoy myself down there. Did a lot of work down there after Sandy and met a lot of awesome people. Great surfing too!

Wavewheeler

I don't know what happened to the Wobbly House. In 2006, when we first went there, my daughter and I enjoyed a fabulous meal and even though it wasn't cheap, I didn't mind paying for it. We went back several times after and was never quite satisfied. I am very fussy about how my steak is cooked (esp at $35 a pop!). They even have a description of how it's "supposed" to come out but they obviously don't follow it. When I order a rare steak I expect it to be red and juicy. It comes out barely red and mostly pink with even some grey..That's medium and inexcusable for a place that bills itself as a steak place.

I have complained and they are gracious about redoing it and even comped me the last time but this time both of our steak were overcooked and then we had to pay extra for the salad bar and it wasn't quite as good. It gets tiresome and irritating to complain so now it's off our list. I guess it's not just me.

Wavewheeler

My uncle always talks about the "Bennys" In Elizabeth. Jersey gets a bad wrap. I enjoy myself down there. Did a lot of work down there after Sandy and met a lot of awesome people. Great surfing too!

There's a lot about the Jersey Shore to like. I'm just not much of a beach person and it's ironic that I wound up spending most of my life living a mile from the beach. I even dislike salt water! Often I'm headed in the opposite direction to camp,hike and kayak in the mountains and rivers during the summer. I love the mountains and have been wanting to relocate for years. Basically I stayed because of the kids and my livelihood is here but in 2 years I'll be free and I plan to pack up and head west.

I will miss the food and night life but not much else. I will say that I live in one of the nicer areas but I prefer less people and more trees.