• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: The past few months...coast to coast. MTB stoke.

snoseek

Yes, I Forced myself to relearn how to post pics here so lets do this.

Im starting this display of fuckery somewhere back about late summer, back when I had no idea where or when I was going in the fall. For many years my summers were a sufferfest, trying to hustle money to get through the winter without working or collecting. A few years ago I rediscovered my love for riding bikes so now I've arranged things with my career so I have a more balanced life. Don't get me wrong, I still love to ski more than ever and get in many many days....I just work some at night to fund things. I like the other seasons too.

We'll start off with a little lamb stoke:

Many of you know this place:

I've also come to like ascutneys trails a lot over the summer. Big climbs and good techy downhills, all with that pretty vt scenery:

still lots of work for me in summer, so late night rides are essential:

Eventually the summer came to a close, I got my plans together for winter and I arranged for a departure date at work allowing a great shoulder season. My initial plans were to stop off and ride Brown County State Park in Indiana but once on the road my car just kept driving west, happens every year. Someday.

After a couple days of cornfields I finally it my first destination, Curt gowdy State park in Wyoming. Totally new place for me and right at the point the plains meet the mountains. IMBA labels it on the epic list and I can see it. Really good mix of terrain, great facilities, very well built stuff. Glad I stopped for a couple days, good after driving trough cornfields for two days.

Some pics:

NEXT-Colorado

snoseek

The drive from Curt Gowdy to Denver is a snap. Really just following the front Range for a 100 miles south, maybe not even. First stop was legal weed, second was a friend I hadn't seen since we last spoke....PITA woman but perfect for 3 or 4 days lol. Third stop my old neighborhood in Golden to ride te newly improved trails on North Table mtn I miss it sometimes and avoided it like the plague since leaving, all good now however:

Yep, Denver looks small from up top.

Next couple days were spent riding the front range. I devoted most of my time to Buffalo Creek as its by far my favorite in the area. Climbs go on forever but the downills are super fast and flowing and the grades are perfect for pedaling all of it. Each day consisted of 3-5k of vert but it climbs really well. For under 60 minutes from Denver it's got an incredibly wild feel.:

Next up: Western Slope

snoseek

Fruita, Grand Junction, Moab. Maybe my favorite place on earth. Could easily call it home but then I'd lose my vacation shoulder season spot. Every kind of imaginable riding, but me being an XC guy, I stay away from super crazy stuff. Some chunk is fun but im not going to risk ski season over clearing big drops. Fortunately for me I got

For you Scotty, earning my keep:

out in Loma.....Steve's from Kokopelli

Colorado River

The infamous entrance

And of course some Moab

Next up: Reno/Tahoe

snoseek

Tahoe, Or should I say fucking Tahoe. I love it, I really do but im going on my fourth winter and she's been a miserable bitch for the first three. I'm determined to get a good winter here because the terrain is unmatched imo. By good I mean average...we'll all settle just fine with average at this point. Many local businesses are on their last straw, we need winter to come this year. Despite the lackluster years this place is fantastic. The riding consist of VERY big climbs, chunk, flow and insanely long loops. It test my endurance like nowhere else but after you know you just rode some of the best stuff in the land. As I type my legs are on fire but its just so good I know I'll go back for more tomorrow.

Took a stroll on down to Reno to Visit with Treckchick and Philpug (and Ziggy...awesome dog) and spent a couple days riding their backyard. Big ass climbs with an incredible maze of singletrack...much newly built. Reno Carson is WAYYYY underrated.

And finally a couple from today in MY backyard. No car required

That's all for now, Maybe post some pics from different places like Auburn or Carson City as I go. Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope it gives you some drive to get out and ride a bike. Remember how much fun it was as a kid? Well its still just as fun. GO!

snoseek

THIS... is a freaking trip report! Nice writing, nice pics, nice life. I'm drooling over this whole thing. Keep it coming

Thanks man....been meaning to post something in the bike forum for a couple years...tonight I finally motivated

mlctvt

Great report! This makes me want to take up mountain biking again. Love the west and XC riding but gave up technical single track back here in CT due to injuries and possibly more injuries. Years ago my wife & I shipped our bikes out to Moab then flew out and rented a small RV for 2 weeks of camping and riding then the next year we flew to Denver and did the same thing. We rode some of the trails/places you post here. I can't wait until we retire in a few years so we can take months doing this!

bvibert

Staff member
Awesome TR! Looks like one hell of a good trip! Thanks for posting it.

A cross country MTB trip has been on my bucket list for a while now.

snoseek

Great report! This makes me want to take up mountain biking again. Love the west and XC riding but gave up technical single track back here in CT due to injuries and possibly more injuries. Years ago my wife & I shipped our bikes out to Moab then flew out and rented a small RV for 2 weeks of camping and riding then the next year we flew to Denver and did the same thing. We rode some of the trails/places you post here. I can't wait until we retire in a few years so we can take months doing this!

You'll be happy to know trails are being added in Moab at an alarming rate, each time I pass in spring/fall there's new stuff, most of it built in the past couple years has been tamer than a lot of the traditional stuff, I think to compete with all the new stuff in Fruita...it's like a trails arms race...I love it! New stuff at Klondike Bluffs is wicked fun!

mlctvt

You'll be happy to know trails are being added in Moab at an alarming rate, each time I pass in spring/fall there's new stuff, most of it built in the past couple years has been tamer than a lot of the traditional stuff, I think to compete with all the new stuff in Fruita...it's like a trails arms race...I love it! New stuff at Klondike Bluffs is wicked fun!

Cool, Klondike Bluffs is one of the areas we rode when we were there last. We also rode the Slick rock trail, and Arches Loop, saw lots of snakes on that one! We've got to get back out there it's been over 10 years!

snoseek

A couple from today. Pics taken from rim trail between SLT and Kirkwood. Snows moving in.

skiNEwhere

Very cool TR! I really want to get into mountain biking, bikes are so damn expensive though (and skiing is not somehow.....)

What kind of bike you have?

snoseek

Giant trance x 29

You can get one used and save big. Lots of great stuff locally for you, do it.