• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TR: VT Smoked chicken

Glenn

First VT smoke! Did a roughly 4.3-4.4lb roaster chicken Friday afternoon. Smoked it with some applewood I brought from CT and some mesquite chips I had.

One of my recent projects was installing and wiring these two outside GFCI outlets. Each one is controlled by a switch right inside. Each switch/outlet is wired to it's own 20 amp breaker (I installed those too) so they should be good to go for running the smoker, power tools...

IMG_0517Medium.jpg

Plugged in and ready to go:
IMG_0518Medium.jpg

After about 4 hours or so:
IMG_0520Medium.jpg

Getting ready to serve:
IMG_0521Medium.jpg

We made some pizza the next night. Kudos to my wife for being able to create this in our 24" "apartment style" oven up there:
IMG_0563Medium.jpg

Grassi21

Wow, the bird and pizza look phenomenal. Great food stoke.

powhunter

What is the brand/model of that smoker?? Im thinking of getting one for the restaurant/home...

steveo

Glenn

What is the brand/model of that smoker?? Im thinking of getting one for the restaurant/home...

steveo

It's a Brinkmann electric smoker. You can get them for about $50 or so at Lowe's or HomeDepot. I've had this for a few years now and it works great. If you keep it inside when not in use, it'll hold up well. I want to say Wal-Mart has an an even cheaper version? But I think it may be smaller. While this thing looks tall, it's nice to have two racks inside if you feel like cooking a bunch of stuff.

It's the "Set it and forget it" model. It has one temp setting..."on". If I find it gets too hot too fast, I just open the side door up a bit. I don't really have that problem too often though.

Grassi21

It's a Brinkmann electric smoker. You can get them for about $50 or so at Lowe's or HomeDepot. I've had this for a few years now and it works great. If you keep it inside when not in use, it'll hold up well. I want to say Wal-Mart has an an even cheaper version? But I think it may be smaller. While this thing looks tall, it's nice to have two racks inside if you feel like cooking a bunch of stuff.

It's the "Set it and forget it" model. It has one temp setting..."on". If I find it gets too hot too fast, I just open the side door up a bit. I don't really have that problem too often though.

I thought that smoker looked familiar. I have the non-electric version. To get mine humming more consistently I added a real thermometer and drilled holes in the shape of an ellipse in the charcoal pan for better air flow. For $35 plus the price of the thermometer, I can't complain one bit.

Keep 'em smoking gang!

Glenn

I thought that smoker looked familiar. I have the non-electric version. To get mine humming more consistently I added a real thermometer and drilled holes in the shape of an ellipse in the charcoal pan for better air flow. For $35 plus the price of the thermometer, I can't complain one bit.

Keep 'em smoking gang!

Cool!

I use a wireless thermometer directly in what I'm cooking; which has worked great. But it would be interesting to see how hot the unit itself is.

Got any pics of your setup?

powhunter

you forgot one

Thanks....Now im on a mission to get one...I do want to get one with a T-Stat This one at cabelas looks ideal $199..

powhunter-albums-lob-picture271-smoker.jpg

Glenn

That's a cool looking one!

We may be having some propane work done to the house...and I already asked about getting a grill hookup. A propane smoker may soon follow.

WoodCore

Nicely done!! The chicken looks awesome!!!

Can't wait to fire up the Orion for the first time next weekend (weather permitting).

Grassi21

Thanks....Now im on a mission to get one...I do want to get one with a T-Stat This one at cabelas looks ideal $199..

powhunter-albums-lob-picture271-smoker.jpg

That is some serious smoker stoke.

Glenn I will try to snap some pics tomorrow.