• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trade a free lift ticket at Killington (and/or cash, beers, fishing trip?) for couple hours of morning lessons?

Fishin413

Just like the title says! Looking for someone with teaching experience that can show me the basics in the morning and then ditch me. I just went on an emotional rollercoaster with the Killington Ski School. Got a lesson booked and paid for then the lady put me on hold and came back on to tell me that was a computer error and lessons don't start until the 12/10. So here's my Hail Mary post, and I still might just ride up anyway and wing it.

M40, regular non-weird dude from western MA, office professional, avid outdoors, boating, fishing, 420 friendly. Went snowboarding twice 10 years ago but never skied a day in my life. I've got all the gear, boots fitted etc. Just need someone to show me the basics.

Willing to pay for your lift ticket, add some cash, bring up some good beers from the area or trade time for a fresh or salt water fishing trip this coming Spring on my 20 foot Sailfish or Quabbin boat.

So, anyone with teaching experience want to ski for free and then some tomorrow?

Fishin413

I respect that and I know it might not be the best idea. I've got lessons booked at Mt. Snow on the 30th but that's looking like it might not even happen. Birthday ski trip with the girlfriend planned on 12/ 16 so I have to start somewhere. Any other ideas?

Kingslug20

If its open..I might be up at Stowe the 27th..I've taught plenty of people to ski. Usually Lord is open which is a top to bottom run..its not a beginner run but its big with lots of places to stop/fall//get up and try again. Early season is tough as the runs can be variable and a little too steep for a total beginner.

Fishin413

Thanks man. I've got lessons booked at Mt. Snow the 29th and 30th, but that's looking like a crap shoot too. I'm only considering winging it because both times I tried snowboarding I could "make it down" the mountain without killing myself, I'm reasonably athletic, and I've got good balance from 20 years of sea legs. The lady at the Ski School said she doesn't think it'll be too busy. I would really prefer some instruction out of the gate but I'm not afraid to drive 5 hours to attempt to ski for two haha.

djd66

Thanks man. I've got lessons booked at Mt. Snow the 29th and 30th, but that's looking like a crap shoot too. I'm only considering winging it because both times I tried snowboarding I could "make it down" the mountain without killing myself, I'm reasonably athletic, and I've got good balance from 20 years of sea legs. The lady at the Ski School said she doesn't think it'll be too busy. I would really prefer some instruction out of the gate but I'm not afraid to drive 5 hours to attempt to ski for two haha.
If you are looking to learn ASAP and don't want to wait for beginner terrain to open in VT, you could check out the indoor skiing place in NJ

cdskier

If you are looking to learn ASAP and don't want to wait for beginner terrain to open in VT, you could check out the indoor skiing place in NJ
They're closed due to the fire several weeks back...estimate is reopening sometime in early 2022.

urungus

Hey Fishin,

Great to see a new joiner from the 413 ! Agree with skiur that the limited terrain currently open at Killington is no place for a beginner. Mount Snow should be in decent shape by Nov 29/30, next weeks forecast looks favorable for snowmaking and possibly some natural snow next Tuesday.

Fishin413

Hey Fishin,

Great to see a new joiner from the 413 ! Agree with skiur that the limited terrain currently open at Killington is no place for a beginner. Mount Snow should be in decent shape by Nov 29/30, next weeks forecast looks favorable for snowmaking and possibly some natural snow next Tuesday.

Yeah if I was able to find a competent instructor I would have taken the ride but that hasn't panned out so I'm gonna wait it out a bit. Thanks!

Fishin413

Well an honest and sincere thank you to everyone that chimed in here. The clear choice is to wait, can't believe how that differs from what i heard from both people I spoke to at the ski school. Thanks again to all!

Smellytele

Since great northern is open from the top you have plenty of flat areas to practice/learn, it would involve hiking back up some which you can use the mountain top lodge stairs to get back up from partial way down great northern, not the most practical thing but if you eventually make it to the north ridge quad you can hike up the stairs and do it again on Great northern
That just sounds horrible with non beginners flying down it

JimG.

Staff member
Sounds like a lot of effort for a never ever.

Not sure what would be more dangerous, him skiing down rime to the lift or him hiking up upper rime to get to the stairs.

Smellytele

Theirs very little traffic on great northern now skiers only use it once or twice a day to make it to the north ridge chairlift, perhaps you are unaware of that?, under normal circumstances you are right,
I was just there and while it was packed on it. Those on it were moving at a good clip. That first 90 deg turn would be sketchy as a never ever as well

Cornhead

Wait till Hunter opens and just go for it, you'll fit right in. Can you skate? I've never taught anyone to ski, but it seems to me someone who can skate would have a leg up learning. In fact, if I were to teach someone I think starting them out on a flat area at the base and teaching them to skate with skis, they would be short for a never ever, would be a good way to get them used to transferring weight from one inside edge to the other. But maybe that's asking too much, probably alot easier having gravity help you move.

I was asked by a fellow lap swimmer, a high school Spanish teacher, if I would take a Venezuelan exchange student skiing at Greek Peak. His only experience skiing was a week with his cousins, avid skiers, Andes, at Deer Valley. He was a soccer, and tennis player, he was awesome. He was pretty good in the bumps too. I even got him into the trees, but he wasn't too confident about that, but he had the skill to handle it, but did the usual fixating on the trees, instead of the open spaces. Good luck!

spiderpig

Since great northern is open from the top you have plenty of flat areas to practice/learn, it would involve hiking back up some which you can use the mountain top lodge stairs to get back up from partial way down great northern, not the most practical thing but if you eventually make it to the north ridge quad you can hike up the stairs and do it again on Great northern
That sounds terrible

jaytrem

That sounds terrible
If he bought regular boots to change in to for the walk up it would only be mostly terrible.

Too bad the NJ dome is closed, it is a great place to learn. Was nice not to have to waste "real" ski days while my kids were learning to snowboard.

Smellytele

You could use the top section of great Northern. From tight after you get off the gondola, down around the corner and then walk back up the trail to the peak lodge stairs. That’s a very short piece of uphill and quite easy to walk in ski boots. That will give you a few hundred yards of beginner run to work with.
Gotta spend a lot of money for that 200 yards of skiing and and no lift.