• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trip report- Fitwilliams( lost ski area)

MrMagic

Fitzwilliams ski area( closed) NH

FEb 19. afternoon

packedpowder- broken glass( see report)

after classes were done with for the day i packe dup my bag , my snow shoes and tele skies and headed out to the old fitzwilliams ski area. very easy to find . all trails are kept in great shape, all cut back. and GROOOMED i kid you not. the area is still maintained by the town(?) for cross country and snow shoeing. founmd that no snow shoes were required to hike up do to the packed and groomed surface. the snow was pack powder but due to the mix percipation then gromming the snow was covered with small nickle sized peices of ice ( which felt like broken glass)
not much left of the onec active area. only the trails and a pile of wheels from the beg. tow at the base , by the road. hiked up the old lift line . upon the top of the hill one gets great views of the town and near by mtns. skied down the main slope and then the lift line. a great way to spend a few hours . i hope to go back in the spring when conditions are better, but with the way this winter has been, i wounder if there will be any more snow.
sorry no photos didnt take the digi cam. any ways not much to see. please see nelsap.org for some history.