• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Helicopter Rescue

TheBEast

Anyone hear about this?? From the Avalanche bulletin this morning. Can't seem to find anything on Timerfortuckerman or the web in general.

"We’d like to thank everyone who helped out with rescue efforts on Saturday. It’s been a long time since we’ve had a helicopter land on the floor of the ravine, and we could not have done this without everyone’s cooperation. So even if all you did was stay out of the way, we thank you."

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/

makimono

There's a post on T4T now http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14885

DSC_0085.jpg

I've see a few people take that same type of fall bouncing of the wall skiers right on the chute. Scary. Sounds like the person has been released from the hospital and might be okay.

seoseo

Tuckerman heli rescue

I'm a new member from Belfast Maine, used to do an annual winter climb up Washington back in the '70's, now old and pretty much in the way.
I'm joining for the purpose of thanking anyone reading this who was involved in any way in helping my son last Saturday, March 17. He was the skier who came unstuck at the top of Chute, and took a long fall, followed by a helicopter trip to Portland.
As luck would have it, he's fine. The did a Cat scan, and found nothing but unmistakable evidence of inherited stupidity.
In his defense, he's a sensible guy, a Junior at McGill studying physics and computer science. He skied White Nitro (Sugarloaf) when he was 8, and Gondaleuse (Mt. St. Anne) at 10, so it's not as if he hasn't seen steep terrain.
We drove down to Portland, got him out of Maine Med, where he was dressed in paper hospital scrubs, no shoes, no underwear. Took him to Goodwill for a new suit of clothes, and the next morning got him back with the rest of the group from the McGill Outing Club who he was with. He's back in school, claims no headache, not even any bruises.
He is a very lucky young man, and my thanks to everyone who helped out.
Stephen Olson

Cornhead

Glad to hear your son is Okay. I made my first visit to Tux on Memorial Day Weekend last year. While booting up at Lunch Rocks, I was reminded that skiing there is no joke. There was only one other person in the ravine, a hiker who was camping for a couple days. He called to me that ice was coming down the bowl. I looked up and saw several small pieces tumbling down. I didn't think much of it. He said, "Here's another". I looked up and saw a block, 2'x2'x4', come tumbling down. It must have weighed hundreds of pounds. It would not have been fun to cross paths with. It is a beautiful, but dangerous place.

Here's a video of Tux that day, including the airlift of your Son. It pissed me off that someone commented that the helicopter footage was a "nice touch".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfe1SY3OYU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Is he responsible for any of the expense of the rescue?