• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tuckerman Ravine 2015

C-Rex

I've been trying to check Tucks off my list for several years now and it never worked out. This year I'm dedicated to making it happen. I have a new lady-friend that has done it twice and is going to take me with her this year. I want to start gathering gear for the trip now so I have time to search for deals.

I have:

Snowboard and associated gear
snow shoes
collapsible poles
hiking pack with water bladder and board straps

I want/need:
crampons
ice axe
good hiking boots
camping pack
cold rated sleeping bag (if we end up camping, which I think we will)
split board (wishlist, not a necessity)

My questions are:

What else do I need?
Is there a specific type of crampons, ice axe, etc. I should get?
Can I do the hike (to the base of the ravine) in my snowboard boots (they're pretty comfy) or should I get good hiking boots?
I think at some point in the weekend we are going to try to summit and ride back down. What should I know about that?

I'm looking for advice from experienced people, not what you heard somewhere. If you don't have experience with Tucks but have done other alpine climbing/hiking or have solid backcountry experience, that's cool too. Thanks!

makimono

When are you planning on going? If you go in the Spring you don't really need snowshoes crampons or ice axe...the trail up to HoJo's is a gentle grade of switchbacks that's very well traveled. If you have some kind of tread on your snowboard boots they should be fine, but the hiking trail can get icy so if they're like sneakers on the bottom you may be better off with hiking boots.

I've only gone up there with ski boots so I'm not sure how soft boots handle kicking steps up the bowl proper. But I also avoid the conga line up the face and stick to less crowded aspects like the L & R gully where you're more likely to have to kick your own steps than follow the boot pack.

Weather can be crazy and change in an instant, I've gone when it's like a summer day down in Conway, wearing shorts the whole way up and once in the bowl it turned arctic, a black line came screaming across the summit and it hailed like marbles, then 30 minutes later the sun came out and we were stripping clothes again. So your first time you'll probably want to bring more clothes/gear than not enough...after a few times you'll be paring that down to get a lighter pack.

xwhaler

I used to hike Mt Washington in the winter....have summited 8 times, attempted 9. One yr was so brtual above treeline we had to turn back.
I've also hiked/skied Tucks a couple times.
Rent ice axe/crampon from IME in North Conway. You actually may not need axe/crampon if you are not planning on going way up and over the lip.
If you are staying down low and skiing lunch rocks down you will be fine in just your hiking boots I think.
Have fun, its fun for the experience even if the snow conditions/length of available vert is not great. Be prepared to turn back if weather turns on you.....totally different ballgame up there from the Pinkham Notch trailhead.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, I would ask those folks on Time for Tux.

The hike up to the base of the bowl is not bad at all. It is about 2.5 miles or so if memory serves me right. Most folks do it with snowshoes (will be a must this year), by skinning, or by hiking boots. You come to Hermit Lake and HoJo's (the ranger cabin). It's always a good idea to check in with them and ask where to go, avalanche conditions, etc. They will steer you right.

From there, you hike up to the base of the bowl and then go from there.

Depending upon what time of this year you go, you may want avalanche gear (probe, beacon, shovel). I think you can rent them. But if you are going in spring when it is warm, and avalanche is not really an issue, you should be fine. An ice ax is a good idea. There generally is a boot pack up the sides that you can do in snowboard boots. Crampons are also good. You pretty much go up as high was you want to go and ride down. Repeat until you are done. Be aware of falling ice and rocks in spring.

I completely agree with the weather comments. The rangers may strongly urge you not to go because of conditions. Heed their advice. You can always come back. They also will tell you what the conditions will be for above the bowl and may also tell you not to go. I don't think that they technically "close" the bowl, and they will tell you that the can't per se, but if they are saying don't go, don't go. They are a great resource. There also are volunteer ski patrollers there are busy weekends.

Don't underestimate the Sherburne Ski Trail--it is really fun.

Make the best of it and enjoy your visit!

crank

If you go in the spring: Hiking boots for the trail up to Hojo's. Change into snowboard boots there and you will be following steps cut into the steep of the face by hundreds of other skiers and boarders. Crampons will do you no good in the soft corn and are not necessary.

C-Rex

I'm going in the beginning of May so it "should" be spring conditions. My snowboard boots have a decent tread but I'll probably get some crampons and an axe (rent or buy depending on the deals I can find) just in case I want to do something off the beaten path or if it's icy. My lady friend, who snowboards as well, said she was really glad to have crampons and an axe. I guess they hiked a very steep section and it made her feel much more secure knowing she had good traction and could self-arrest if necessary. I'll be bringing plenty of layers to be prepared for any weather that may pop up. And, of course, I'll listen to the ranger's advice. Rule #1 is always "Come home safe."

makimono

Also make sure you spend the time pre-trip really sorting out your board/pack attachment so you'll be able to secure it (possibly in bad weather or in the dark) without having to re-invent the whole thing. Make sure it's nicely balanced and it's not smacking you in the back of the head (annoying) or hitting the back of your calves (sucks! especially if you have to down hike).

C-Rex

Also make sure you spend the time pre-trip really sorting out your board/pack attachment so you'll be able to secure it (possibly in bad weather or in the dark) without having to re-invent the whole thing. Make sure it's nicely balanced and it's not smacking you in the back of the head (annoying) or hitting the back of your calves (sucks! especially if you have to down hike).

Good advice, thanks! I think I'll do a couple pre-Tucks hikes on so local hills. That should help me get my gear sorted out and learn a few setup preferences. Damn! Now I want to bust out of work and go hike something!

crank

Last time I was there, in May, I hiked Hillman's Highway. As I topped out a hiker approached me. He had crampons and an ice ax. He asked me if he could hike down that way. I told him there is no way he could get down there without skis on his feet. He tried anyway and my friend who was a hundred yards or so behind me asked me if I had seen that hiker who fell all the way down slope.

C-Rex

Last time I was there, in May, I hiked Hillman's Highway. As I topped out a hiker approached me. He had crampons and an ice ax. He asked me if he could hike down that way. I told him there is no way he could get down there without skis on his feet. He tried anyway and my friend who was a hundred yards or so behind me asked me if I had seen that hiker who fell all the way down slope.

That's why you don't shrug off advice from people out there. Especially when they are urging caution or telling you no way.

Smellytele

Also don't forget to bring a couple of canned beers to store in the snow at the bottom of the bowl after you come down. I usually take my pack off for the hike from the bottom of the bowl to the top of the bowl (or gully - what ever way you go). I just pimp stick it up the bowl/gully. Small water bottle in my coat and a snack.
Be careful of the lower head wall later in the season. I'll probably think of other things and will add them to fill in around what others have added. I have skied up there over 20-30 times from Feb to May. Every time it is different and have always had a great time.

wtcobb

The link posted for the MW Avi Center also provides more regular trail updates for the Sherbie in the spring. Very useful come late April/May when waterbars/rocks/other hazards start to come into play. You'll certainly want to know what you're in for on the trail before diving into those first turns... Otherwise hike back out on the Tucks Ravine trail you come up.

C-Rex

Great info guys. I'm surprised T4T doesn't have a sticky with first timer info. I did a search but I can't imagine how many people ask what to expect and what they'll need.

makimono

Also don't forget to bring a couple of canned beers to store in the snow at the bottom of the bowl after you come down.

This...4 beers also make perfect sized plugs to fit in your boots... you know to keep small animals and stuff out of them while your hiking up...it's important. :beer:

bigbog

Lny123

When I went in early May the most useful items I brought: 1. Very good WATERPROOF hiking boot- the hike is long & rocky and drenched with a winters full of snow melt. 2. Shorts and a wicking technical shirt (not to mention water bottle)- The hike gets hot carrying and the gear up. 3. Good backpack designed to carry ski/snowboard- Spend the money on a good one specifically designed to carry ski/board, your back will thank you. Mistake I made.....bringing old Atomic SX 11's to ski down. They were way too stiff and aggressive for spring Tuckerman's- I felt every minor bump. I though the super edge grip would trump the stiffness....it didn't. Good luck.....I had a blast.

603Skier

Good advice, thanks! I think I'll do a couple pre-Tucks hikes on so local hills. That should help me get my gear sorted out and learn a few setup preferences. Damn! Now I want to bust out of work and go hike something!
Try the sherbie(john sherburne ski trail) now if you bust out. Skied it twice yesterday it was awesome! Micro spikes were fine. A snow cat packed the trail up. Unbelievable view of the bowl from hojos. Start your descent there. You won't be sorry practicing there.

Hike and ski your ability in that bowl. My dads best friends son somehow fell skiing and tumbled into a rock garden below and passed away from trama. Heed all warnings. Follow a line where several people are skiing well and be very aware of crevices that are prescent in the spring. One fall above one of those will not be good..

with that being said I have skied it many times and plan on skiing many more don't miss out it's a rite of passage.