• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

    You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Upcoming storm and weekend: where are folks going?

lerops

New member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
450
Points
0
Location
Westchester, NY
There is a similar discussion in the weather thread, but might be worth having a separate one for this.

I probably will not be able to swing Th-Fr given work commitments. Trying to decide on the weekend, and thinking Pico, but Saturday liquid/solid mixed precipitation forecasts aren't pretty. Pico seems to be at a good base elevation, but there is rain even all the way to northern Vt. How does latitude and altitude trade off on this one?
 

xlr8r

Active member
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
800
Points
28
Unfortunately will probably only make it to Wawa either Thursday or Friday night. I'm going to the Bruins game on Saturday, and will be staying up very late into Sunday morning for the first Grand Prix of the Formula 1 season.
 

jimk

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Messages
1,271
Points
48
Location
Wash DC area
By dumb luck I locked into a trip to New England (from Virginia) a couple months ago to accompany my son for his PSIA Level III skiing exam on 3/19 and 20 at Hunter Mtn. Hunter may get a messy rain/snow mix from Winter Storm Vulcan on 3/13, but before and after we're filling out the week at Sugarloaf and Whiteface which I believe are on the right side of the line for a foot or two of snow. Good parenting pays off:)
 

Tin

Active member
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Messages
2,992
Points
36
Location
ZooMass Slamherst
There is a similar discussion in the weather thread, but might be worth having a separate one for this.

I probably will not be able to swing Th-Fr given work commitments. Trying to decide on the weekend, and thinking Pico, but Saturday liquid/solid mixed precipitation forecasts aren't pretty. Pico seems to be at a good base elevation, but there is rain even all the way to northern Vt. How does latitude and altitude trade off on this one?

See 30mph+ winds for Pico Saturday morning, beware of wind holds.
 

xwhaler

Active member
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
2,938
Points
38
Location
Seacoast NH
Can't ski until Sunday and will either be burning vouchers at Sunapee or Cannon....leaning towards Cannon as I've never skied Mittersill and I'd imagine it will be going then
 

Sick Bird Rider

New member
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
161
Points
0
Location
The Hinterlands
Jay, Thursday through Saturday.

Assuming I can get there.

Will be recognizable in bright red Patagucci jacket, conspicuous stickers on helmet that read "use your head," grey beard, shit eating grin.
 

Bumpsis

Active member
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
1,026
Points
38
Location
Boston, MA
Cannon. I'm aiming at Friday.

Work commitments will keep me down through Thursday. I'm guessing that travel up north on Thursday will be a major challenge and with big winds that are also forecasted for Th, I'm wondering how many lifts will they actually spin.
Friday seems like a good bet, but despite all that snow that's forecasted, I'm sure it will be all tracked out by the time I get there.
I'm hoping for nice, soft moguls. May be I'll finally hit Mittersill. Skied it once a few years back on thin cover.
 

BenedictGomez

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2011
Messages
10,773
Points
48
Location
PRNJ
Hunter may get a messy rain/snow mix from Winter Storm Vulcan

There is no such thing as "Winter Storm Vulcan".

Winter storms do not get named, unless you're trying to scare people, and generate hype, media attention, and marketing dollars.
 

yeggous

Active member
Joined
Oct 8, 2012
Messages
2,156
Points
36
Location
Chelmsford, MA
I'll be trying to Cannon on Thursday, with Bretton Woods as backup in case of wind.

I'm undecided for the weekend. Stowe, Sugarbush, Burke, Wildcat, Jay, Bretton Woods, MRG, and Cannon are all possible. I need a good reason to pick two.


Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app
 

Wavewheeler

New member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
495
Points
0
Location
The Jersey Shore
I was planning to take my daughter skiing on March 19-20 at Hunter but am wondering how it will hold up from the rain/sleet on Wed and then showers predicted Saturday. Wondering if I should head further north perhaps to Killington.
 

wakenbacon

New member
Joined
Feb 4, 2013
Messages
80
Points
0
Location
PVD
Snow has started in N. Lincoln. Loon today/tomorrow, if cannon has holds tomorrow ill be there friday.
 

yeggous

Active member
Joined
Oct 8, 2012
Messages
2,156
Points
36
Location
Chelmsford, MA
Anybody with Cannon expertise know how early and where to find wind hold information for tomorrow?


Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app
 
Top