• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Used car buying problem

o3jeff

As some of you know I think I bought a Jeep Wrangler. Some background, last Thursday I found a 1999 Sport with 66k miles that needs a battery and new soft top. We agreed on $XXXX and I gave them a check for $200 for a deposit and they wrote up a receipt stating I gave them a $200 deposit on a 1999 Jeep, vin#xxxx..... and a balance of $XXXX is due when I pick it up when they get the title and then they signed it.

This evening I receive an email from them saying they cannot sell it to me because their brother came up to visit and needs a car so they are going to give it to him and he is going to drive it back to where he lives and they asked if mailing my deposit check was fine and sorry for any problems.

I replied back stating that we have entered a contract and that I would like to proceed with the transaction as planned.

My question is can they just get out of it that easy or do I have any recourse it they don't hold up to their end?

I noticed that they still have the ad up for it so I think they might have gotten a better offer. Any opinions on what I should do?

o3jeff

I had the money, but they needed to pay off their loan to get the title.

I am just waiting to hear back from them as to what they are doing and will most likely walk away.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I suggest you and Steveo show up in his jeep with baseball bats in hand and say, "I don't think you understand man, I want this jeep " :lol:

o3jeff

I suggest you and Steveo show up in his jeep with baseball bats in hand and say, "I don't think you understand man, I want this jeep " :lol:

Already set that up.:-D

I almost don't want it anymore now cause if I push them on the issue they will probably put something in the gas and it will die for good on me in a day or so.

Geoff

You don't say what the purchase price is. If it's less than the small claims max amount, you can threaten to go that route. Most people will cave since this is a slam dunk in court. If it's over that amount, you're basically going to have to walk away.

A quick Google came up with $5000 in Connecticut.
http://www.jud2.ct.gov/Small_Claims/

Greg

Staff member
They sound like shady people. I wouldn't want to buy a car from someone I thought was a shady person. Just walk away.

hammer

Did you pay the deposit with a personal check? I'd get the deposit back, forget about the purchase, and keep an eye on your checking account...

o3jeff

66k on a 1999. That's pretty cool.
That's why I thought this was a good buy, looking at used ones the mileage is all over the place along with pricing.

You don't say what the purchase price is. If it's less than the small claims max amount, you can threaten to go that route. Most people will cave since this is a slam dunk in court. If it's over that amount, you're basically going to have to walk away.

A quick Google came up with $5000 in Connecticut.
http://www.jud2.ct.gov/Small_Claims/
$6000

Did you pay the deposit with a personal check? I'd get the deposit back, forget about the purchase, and keep an eye on your checking account...
Just waiting to hear back from them now so it doesn't seem like I am the one that wants to get out of it so I don't loose the $200

ctenidae

I don't think you have to worry about seeming like the one who wants to get out of it, since they sent you an email cancelling the deal.

You could try to enforce the contract, but I seriously doubt it'll be worth it.A 1999 that needs a new top and has a loan against it (!) strikes me as possibly not the best looked-after vehicle. Second Greg's shady folks assessment, and echo everyone else's "walk away" advice.

n4frl5.jpg

Walk away. Just walk away.

Glenn

I don't think you have to worry about seeming like the one who wants to get out of it, since they sent you an email cancelling the deal.

You could try to enforce the contract, but I seriously doubt it'll be worth it.A 1999 that needs a new top and has a loan against it (!) strikes me as possibly not the best looked-after vehicle. Second Greg's shady folks assessment, and echo everyone else's "walk away" advice.

n4frl5.jpg

Walk away. Just walk away.

LOL! Is that Alton Brown?

o3jeff

Check has a stop payment on it and she claims they are mailing it back.

Anyone selling a 2000'ish Jeep Wrangler?:grin: