• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Verizon iPhone equivalant?

SkiDork

My mom hinted to me she liked the GPS feature in the iPhone and maybe that might be a nice xmas gift. She has Verizon.

Does anyone know what the closest iPhone knockoff Verizon has, keeping in mind the GPS functionality is one of the most desired features (which would include access to Google maps I'm assuming)?

Thanks in advance. Dork out.

Geoff

My mom hinted to me she liked the GPS feature in the iPhone and maybe that might be a nice xmas gift. She has Verizon.

Does anyone know what the closest iPhone knockoff Verizon has, keeping in mind the GPS functionality is one of the most desired features (which would include access to Google maps I'm assuming)?

The one they're pushing now in television is a touch screen Crackberry. Any newer Crackberry has GPS. I haven't had one since June but Verizon used to lock the GPS function so you had to pay extra to use their mapping program. Google Maps for the Verizon Crackberry used the CDMA positioning function based on signal strength to the towers and could be off by miles in rural areas. I read that Verizon was going to unlock the Crackberry GPS function but I'm not up on it these days.

Paul

Geoff's right. The BB Storm is a hell of a phone. Better for business app, though, way more horsepower than what you'd need for personal use, also expensive.

LG has a touch screen phone. I have a prototype right now. Most new phones / PDAs have GPS built in, but like Geoff said, you typically have to upgrade your data plan to be able to use it. They do have a map feature that uses the towers to give a rough idea of location, but the further you are from cell coverage, the worse it gets.

Grassi21

I have the LG Voyager; touch screen, nav, tunes etc etc. Glad stayed with Verizon instead of jumping the iPhone bandwagon.

Glenn

I have a BlakcBerry Curve 8310 on AT&T. I love the phone. It has GPS on it and Google maps will use it. It's nice becaue the little blue dot moves around as you do. It's really handy when driving...you can tell how close you are to the next turn.

I also use a free program called "Amaze GPS" It's a turn by turn direction application that talks to you. It's really slick. Free too. It's a little clunky at times, but for free, I don't really mind. I've never tested it out on a blind trip though. I have to do that.

Telenav comes preloaded with AT&T...but they want an additional $10 a month for it IIRC. I never use it.

bvibert

Staff member
I have a Samsung Glyde through Verizon. I don't know how it compares to the iphone (never used one), but I like it well enough. The touch screen can take a little getting used to. It's got navagation, web browser, and all that. I'm too cheap to pay extra for the nav since I'll never use it, but when I played with it in the store it seemed to work really well.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

I'm not answering your question; I'm going to suggest another option. Has she tried VZNavigator? It does GPS for the most part by using triangulation of cell phone towers. It costs $10/month. I only need directions occasionally and it's worth it to me to have only one gadget in my hand. It works pretty much like a regular GPS.
some LG phones swear they have gps built in, but I don't know about that.
Don't know what the price of entry is for an iphone, but vznavigator is one way to get into the game for cheap, hitting you with $10/month.

I have the iTouch and don't like the lack of tactile response. I often futz with it when I'm driving in the dark to play my tunes. I gave up on it and went back to my old ipod because it was easier to find my forward and back buttons on it.

SkiDork

I'm not answering your question; I'm going to suggest another option. Has she tried VZNavigator? It does GPS for the most part by using triangulation of cell phone towers. It costs $10/month. I only need directions occasionally and it's worth it to me to have only one gadget in my hand. It works pretty much like a regular GPS.
some LG phones swear they have gps built in, but I don't know about that.
Don't know what the price of entry is for an iphone, but vznavigator is one way to get into the game for cheap, hitting you with $10/month.

thats prolly what she's lookin for... Thanks.

bvibert

Staff member
My son has the LG dare and this is fairly close to the iphone, though not as elegant in execution. Works well though.

That's a nice looking phone. It's the other one I was considering when I got the Glyde. I went with the Glyde because it was cheaper and I liked the slide out keyboard.

Grassi21

what are you paying per month for that?

i think my monthly bill is around 75 bucks. i don't talk a ton on my cell but text a lot. i am also paying for the V Cast package. i don't currently subscribe to the nav feature. but you can pay 3/day (one time use but you can just activate it on a day you need it) or something like 10/month.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I have a BlakcBerry Curve 8310 on AT&T. I love the phone. It has GPS on it and Google maps will use it. It's nice becaue the little blue dot moves around as you do. It's really handy when driving...you can tell how close you are to the next turn.

I also use a free program called "Amaze GPS" It's a turn by turn direction application that talks to you. It's really slick. Free too. It's a little clunky at times, but for free, I don't really mind. I've never tested it out on a blind trip though. I have to do that.

Telenav comes preloaded with AT&T...but they want an additional $10 a month for it IIRC. I never use it.
I have Amaze GPS on my 8703e with Sprint and have never been able to make that work.