• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont mud season is approaching

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Just a reminder that in two weeks, the state of Vermont will officially close a number of trails through Memorial Day to protect them during mud season.

The GMC has published the rules of mud season as well as some guidelines for questionable trails.

In particular:

The State of Vermont closes trails in the Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield areas from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas.
Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak.

Mike P.

The trail up Hunger is posted too. (a 3500+ peak in Worester Range)

Will be curious if they open up earlier as winter seems over although April snow always possible.

Mike P.

It is a good time for bushwhacking. I don't do much but it was this time of year when I did my first several years ago to a peak in MA the AT goes around the shoulder on but not over.

In VT the most popular trails & above treeline is the terrain marked closed.

Mike P.

As of 04/09 TR on VFTT there was still 10 inches up high on Camel's Hump so there will be some mud & frozen ground needs to thaw & firm up. That may be sooner than average, if so I don't know if VT & GMC will open trails any sooner.

skizilla

mud season/ blackc fly season

When does mud season typically run fromapril till the end of may ????

When does black fly season begin and End.

I was at mount snow years ago biking on a 90 degree day going up the mountain and I collapsed exhauseted about half way up. I was so beat that it took me about 3 minutes to notice i was being devoured by a dozen or more flies!!!!

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Mud season is like the weather, there is no pat answer. It depends on the weather and which area your talking about. My place in the valley is on a dirt road, some years it is bad some years not so bad. Once the frost is gone and the road bed dries your pretty much home free.

One recent year my road was not bad but a friends road over in Chelsea was a mess.One night I barely made it to their house, I have a 4wd pickup. We spent a good part of the rest of the night going outside and helping other people make it up. One car, a VW bug, we pushed it thru the real bad section and I swear we were up in mud to our waists. You expect the worse and sometimes it's not too bad.

As far as Black Flies go I don't think it is nearly as bad in Vermont overall than here in Maine. But since you asked here is a link that should answer all your questions about the pesky little guys you ever wanted to know.
http://www.mainenature.org/blackfly/blackflyinfo.html

Last edited:

Mike P.

Black Flies & mosquitos, typically around Memorial day it starts to get bad & after July 4th it begins to wane. It is seasonal though, black flies need moving water, Mosquitos need stagnant, neither like it windy or cold. (Another reason besides sunshine why Presidential Traverses seem popular when the sun sets late.)

I've only heard of the ME bugs & that's enough for me to stay away. I've been to the ADK's on Memorial Day before around Lake George hiking & don't plan on returning there at that time. VT & NH IMO are not as bad as those two areas. I've been to the Catskills then & remember the Stinging Nettles (plants) more than the bugs.

I have family that has a place in Berkshires. While not doing much hiking in that area, outside of South Taconics, the bugs in the, Otis, Blandford area (not far from the AT) seem worse than NH & VT. (Then again I have not tried sitting on a deck in NH or VT either.)

MtnMagic

Excellent link to the black flies ski_resort_observer. Thanks!

In the Southern Whites they can hatch as early as May 9/10 and in the Northern Whites about May 14/15. The Kilkenny for 2 months unfortunately can rival any state with the lower Mahoosucs coming in a close second. Spring comes at a small price!