• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VT is nuclear state

hiroto

Here is interesting interactive map of visualizing U.S. Electric Grid.

http://www.npr.org/news/graphics/2009/apr/electric-grid/

Select "SOURCE OF POWER", and then select "MAJOR POWER SOURCES" to Nuclear. I was surprised to find out that nuclear power provides 71% of VT's electric power, highest percentage in the nation. Actually, nuclear provide the most power for the state of VT, NH, CT, NY, NJ, SC, IL.

Glenn

I personally think it's a good source of energy. I think it would be a good way to break away from the fosil powered sources currently in use. IMHO of course. I'm not here to debate.

wa-loaf

I personally think it's a good source of energy. I think it would be a good way to break away from the fosil powered sources currently in use. IMHO of course. I'm not here to debate.

Can we store the spent fuel rods in your back yard?

I'm not particularly apposed to Nuclear Power, but no one is willing to deal with the waste.

bvibert

Staff member

I'm not particularly apposed to Nuclear Power, but no one is willing to deal with the waste.

Shoot it into space, let some aliens worry about it.

deadheadskier

Staff member

That unfortunately will always be the issue with nuclear; the NIMBY's. I certainly wouldn't want spent fuel rods in my back yard either.

The space concept I'm sure is in the works. We've done a damn fine job of polluting here on this planet; shouldn't be long before we look for other dumping grounds.

wa-loaf

What happens when one of those nuke waste loaded rockets blows-up in the middle of launch?

Glenn

I find it interesting that a lot of different groups oppose a lot of different power sources. Sure, it's all give and take...but we need electricity.

Hydro power: Bad for the fish.

Wind power: Bad for the bird/ it's ugly and blocks my view.

I haven't heard anything about solar, but I'm sure someone will find something to b!tch about.

ctenidae

Best treatment of spent rods is reprocessing into new rods. Unfortunately, that's been illegal until just recently.

drjeff

Glenn's new place is close enough to VT Yankee that you almost could put a few rods out back and have a quick alternative source for barkyard BBQ meat cooking TR's :)