• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wait 'til next year

pedxing

Well, I'm in no position to break my paycheck addiction long enough to tackle the AT like skibum (conratulations, by the way skibum!) - but I'm already doing some planning - OK daydeaming - about next summer. Most summers I do manage to get out for a few weeks, but not this year - so I'm already turning, like Yankees fans, to thoughts of '09.

Yeah, I have hiking goals for this winter, but there's nothing like immersing myself in the trail for a good long stretch. So I'm thinking of trying to string together the Cohos Trail, an AT section and maybe some of the LT. Here an outline:

1) Start at the Canadian Border in New Hampshire at the north end of the Cohos trail and hike the length of that trail to come out at the Davis Path trail head at 302 (a little over 160 miles).
2) Take the Nancy Pond Trail, Wildreness Trail, Osseo Trail, etc... to meet up with the AT around Kinsman Ridge (30+ miles)
3) Follow the AT to Maine junction (110+ miles)
4) Follow the LT North as far as I can go in the time I have (or maybe the LT/AT south) ? miles

If I complete the first 3, this would be my longest backpack so far (longest is 280+) and it would mean doing the 40 mile stretch of the New England AT that I've never done (Norwich to Maine Junction). The LT took me 19 days last year, so I'm thinking if I can get four weeks I should be able to spend some time moving north or south of Maine junction.

Ideas on this one? Got a day dream hike you're thinking of doing?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I would like to end-to-end the Long Trail someday, if I can ever get that much vacation time off from work. That and perhaps the AT from the Whites to Baxter. But until then, I hope to head out west again and do another weeklong trip through the Rockies.

A part of me would love to do something longer, but I know that I am too much of a tech-oriented person to be that far out of the world for that long. I'm also not big on the whole resupply concept, I really prefer to just head into the woods one day, and come back out another. :)

pedxing

AT from the Whites to Baxter would make a great hike. I did it in two trips with my son, he had his 12th and 14th birthday on the Maine AT.

I go back and forth as to whether I would ever try a major trail like the AT, or PCT. Its not so much technology, but worrying if it would start to feel like a job.

Telemechanic

I have a tee shirt I bought from the ATC:

Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday

See... There is no Someday.

Anyways... Hiking is good anyway I get it, but I love the long distance hike best (its my favorite vacation). The 100 mile wilderness in Maine is another hard to beat section within a reasonable drive that can be done in a long week.

A Canada to Canada hike sounds interesting too.

Last edited:

skibum9995

It's never too early to start thinking about whats next. Right now I'm trying to figure out way to come up with enough cash to do the PCT, but I probablly won't be able swing it. Most likely I will end up taking a couple weeks and doing the LT, then another couple for the Cohos.