• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wear and tear on ski boots - does this affect binding release?

Bumpsis

I had to do much more walking in my ski boots than ever before this season. So the soles are rougher due to use. Would that affect negatively the release action of my bindings? I'm thinking more about the toe piece. The bottom parts of my boots definitely are more scuffed up, probably creating more friction between the toe pad and the the boot.
Any thoughts?

Just for the record, I did find a very nice ski boot traction device, Sidas Ski Boot traction cleats. Definitely better than Cat Tracks (had those, broke easily) and probably the one from Yaktrax since the Sidas are nicely adjustable.
They made walking from far off parking lots like the E and F lots at Sugarloaf much easier and quite doable. Definitely a better choice than taking a chance (COVID) riding the shuttle bus.
However, for shorter walks, it's a pain in the a** to put those on, take them off and carrying them in a backpack. So the boots do take a beating from gravel, pavement and so forth.
I am really looking forward to being able to boot up in the lodge and leave my stuff there when skiing.
By the way, I'm talking about the conventional, standard ski boots, no alpine touring boots with grip-walk soles, etc.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Toe wear will not be on the contact points on your toe piece. The bottom contact point might be a problem if grit gets imbedded in your boot bottom. It depends on the binding design Marker has a pad that slides out with the boot so it’s not a problem. The heels wear in a spot that won’t matter that much.
Definitely a good idea to mitigate wear !

xlr8r

You can buy replacement toe heel pieces from the boot manufacturer

Bumpsis

Toe wear will not be on the contact points on your toe piece. The bottom contact point might be a problem if grit gets imbedded in your boot bottom. It depends on the binding design Marker has a pad that slides out with the boot so it’s not a problem. The heels wear in a spot that won’t matter that much.
Definitely a good idea to mitigate wear !
Good input - one of my sons does have a Marker binding. I see that the toe pad just moves with the release. Nice feature. Don't have that on my Look toe.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Not to be an ass, but you'll get a thousand different replies on this forum that are all "if's" and "or's" and based around specific conditions. Anything that's safety related like DIN, ski condition, or boot conditions....straight to the ski shop to get a definitive answer. You don't wanna be flying down a groomer at mach 3 worrying about the integrity of your boots.

abc

Not to be an ass, but you'll get a thousand different replies on this forum that are all "if's" and "or's" and based around specific conditions. Anything that's safety related like DIN, ski condition, or boot conditions....straight to the ski shop to get a definitive answer. You don't wanna be flying down a groomer at mach 3 worrying about the integrity of your boots.
You're not being an ass. But I disagree with the "go to the shop" one-size-fit-all approach. Not all the shop people are as knowledgeable as they should be. Not just any random shop anyway. Only a shop you really trust. Otherwise, they may tell you you need a new boot when it may function perfectly fine. Or they may say it's no problem, only you found out "flying down a groomer at Mach 3"...

At the minimum, no harm to get some information prior to "going down to the shop".

Bumpsis

I'm not worried about the integrity of my boots. They are just a couple of seasons old but what does worry me is the interaction between the roughed up sole of my boots (due to having to do a lot of walking on hard surfaces) and that white traction pad at the binding's toe. Rough boot soles may no longer slide out as easily as a boot that hasn't been used for walking.
Perhaps that's not an issue at all. I hardly ever see anyone use ski boot walking devices, so everybody's boots get beat up in a similar way.

raisingarizona

Keep an eye on them and make sure to change out the replaceable pieces before they were down like these. I can’t even replace these now since it’s worn into the main boot and those screws are even worn smooth. These are around ten years old.

The shop wouldn’t mount my skis for these boots so I had to borrow a friends boot. Second day on them I popped a shoe carving on natural and took a good spill. Whacked my head pretty hard too. I then realized there was quite a bit of play or float when locked in so I lowered the toe piece for a secure and snug fit.

Im going to have to get new boots next season.

Attachments

• A1B09E5D-4D99-418B-B43F-4F6255AAAECD.jpeg
    A1B09E5D-4D99-418B-B43F-4F6255AAAECD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not worried about the integrity of my boots. They are just a couple of seasons old but what does worry me is the interaction between the roughed up sole of my boots (due to having to do a lot of walking on hard surfaces) and that white traction pad at the binding's toe. Rough boot soles may no longer slide out as easily as a boot that hasn't been used for walking.
Perhaps that's not an issue at all. I hardly ever see anyone use ski boot walking devices, so everybody's boots get beat up in a similar way.
Easy test. Put all your weight on one leg lift the other out to the side and bring it down hard on the tip/ inside edge . Your toe should release. Repeat the other side.

When I worked in a shop years ago I saw more bindings turned into scrap by road salt, than boot/binding issues.

The amount of play between the teflon pad usually amounts to the thickness of a credit card . So if there’s a pebble trapped between and you step in there could be trouble. I would scrape your boot before stepping in after a lengthy parking lot schlep .

Bumpsis

Easy test. Put all your weight on one leg lift the other out to the side and bring it down hard on the tip/ inside edge . Your toe should release. Repeat the other side.

When I worked in a shop years ago I saw more bindings turned into scrap by road salt, than boot/binding issues.

The amount of play between the teflon pad usually amounts to the thickness of a credit card . So if there’s a pebble trapped between and you step in there could be trouble. I would scrape your boot before stepping in after a lengthy parking lot schlep .
Good advice - thanks. I guess I'll be more diligent with using my boot protecting walking devices. Hopefully, by the time next season rolls around booting up in the lodge will come back as an option.

@raisingarizona : that's a well used boot :)

raisingarizona

Good advice - thanks. I guess I'll be more diligent with using my boot protecting walking devices. Hopefully, by the time next season rolls around booting up in the lodge will come back as an option.

@raisingarizona : that's a well used boot :)
Indeed. 😂. I don’t like getting new boots. They get so comfy after a year or two.

dblskifanatic

So while in Colorado for five year, we booted up at the car all the time and the walk from the parking to lot to the lift was on pavement. The heal a toe pads which are on the tip were very worn but never impacted release. However, I bought new skis and they would not adjust my bindings due to wear on my boots. I had to do that myself.