• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

West Hartford Reservoir Tuesday 7-19

powhunter

Did the the 7 mile loop at the res today, Plus a lot of exploring some ST Ive never been on. So Im comming up to the ladder rock ladder that 2knees pancaked his front wheel on a few years back, and see a huge red tailed hawk in the middle of the trail...Thing was just laying there...At this point im in its face and it still wouldnt move...I grabbed a stick and touched it...Well this beast took off verticle like an appache attack helicopter.. Must have weighed about 50 pounds and had a wingspan of around 30 feet..Lands on a dead hemlock limb about 30 feet up...Limb snaps and nearly clips my sorry ass by about a foot...Also saw a doe by the powerlines. Rolled around 11 miles....Nice but very hot ride today

Steveo

bvibert

Staff member
Nice Steveo, putting the miles in! The hawk sounds pretty wild, I guess he didn't feel too threatened by you until you got a stick...

o3jeff

Nice Steveo, putting the miles in! The hawk sounds pretty wild, I guess he didn't feel too threatened by you until you got a stick...

The hawk was probably looking to smoke one with him! :razz:

I can't wait to get back on the bike, been about 3 weeks.