• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do you do with 10 year old straight skis?

gores95

I have a pair of 190 cm Fischer RC4 Pro Tec SL's with Salomon 757 bindings. I have not been on them in probably 7 or 8 years but they are in really good shape. I am actually suprised by how good they look.

Should I:

1. Toss them?
2. eBay them? I never really thought there would be market for them and probably not worth the hassle for the few dollars I could make.
3. Do ski shops take these as donations/etc?

Any ideas? My wife and I are trying to get rid of uneccessary items and these fall into that category! :wink:

Thanks,

Marc

ctenidae

You won't be able to donate them- due to insurance requirements, programs can't take ski equipment over 4 years old (new bindings, new technology, all that sort of stuff)

How about this:

normal_Dscn0265.jpg

(Ladies not included)
:beer:

gores95

ctenidae said:
You won't be able to donate them- due to insurance requirements, programs can't take ski equipment over 4 years old (new bindings, new technology, all that sort of stuff)

How about this:

normal_Dscn0265.jpg

(Ladies not included)
:beer:

Nice!! In this application I would think the old straight skis would work better than the new shaped ones!

Fitting if it were a "Head" ski!!! :wink:

subdude

There's a guy who drives around my town in his pickup truck and he made side rails for the bed of his truck with three sets of long boards. Looks pretty good.

highpeaksdrifter

C10 with the perfect picture for this thread. :lol:

I noticed over the years when driving past a neighborhood yard sales people trying to sell their old junk bikes and old junk skis, neither sell. Making furniture out of them is a cool idea, but if you can't do that toss them.

NYDrew

We have one of those skiis at work in the bar (it belongs to us instructors, not the bar), we call it the 187 for that is how long it is.

I am saving all my skiis to make a chair. If you cant think of a use for them I'll take them off your hands next time I pass you on the way to Long Island. Despite the fact that I will eventually saw them in half, they will still have a good home (under my nice comfy butt)

haines

Just a curiosity, how about putting them in a chipper on Max RPM

57stevey

ctenidae said:
quote]

While the gist of this is true, my experience has been that as long as the bindings are still indemnified, some ski swaps will forward unsold items to various adaptive programs if you wish. (In other words, if it meets the criteria for sale, it's good enough to donate as well.) Any ski shop should be able to tell you if the 757's are still on the list.

ctenidae

You're right, Steve. I think most places look at 4 years as the end of endemnity, so it's a decent cutoff point. ig it's over 4 years old, check before donating, or you may just be handing a disposal problem off to someone else.

kbroderick

ctenidae said:
You're right, Steve. I think most places look at 4 years as the end of endemnity, so it's a decent cutoff point. ig it's over 4 years old, check before donating, or you may just be handing a disposal problem off to someone else.

For what it's worth, Rossignol Course FK's bindings are still on the indemnification list despite coming out for the 1995-1996 season. I haven't checked on similar-vintage bindings from other companies, because I don't happen to own any that I'm worried about.

(I'm pretty sure that anything pre-Driver in the Salomon line is probably no longer listed, though.)

Hmm, and I think I found the 2005-2006 indemnification list online: http://www.nssra.com/2001/nssra/index.asp?centre=article&recno=2637

It would appear that 757s are no longer considered suitable for skiing use.

Personally, I've got an old ski attached to the wall of my apartment with hooks in it for my base layer stuff, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with its mate or the 200cm G9s from which I just removed bindings today. Or the 193cm EX's in the corner.

(Maybe that is a downside to shaped skis...I don't want to actually ski on any of the old skis I've got kicking around.)