• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What in the world is going on at wildcat…

Hockeyski1998

Does anyone have the inside scoop on what may be going on at wildcat? Bought the epic pass this year simply to ski wildcat and so far it’s not looking like a good investment…

Hockeyski1998

Someone hasn’t read the Vail Sucks thread…

Spark Notes. It’s like 180 pages of Vail Sucks so yeah…
It’s a lot to go through… that’s why i started this thread. To see what is going on specifically going on at wildcat

abc

Short answer, no one seem to know what Vail is doing at Wildcat. All people could see is Vail is they aren't doing what they need to do. Hence the "Vail Sucks" thread. Full of speculations as to "why"....

Knock yourself out

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lots of vacant positions one can assume is due to lower wages than the competition + an extremely frugal snowmaking philosophy = shitty experience other than when Mother Nature delivers.

Oh, and more crowded than ever before due to bargain basement pass prices.

Was a regular since 07 and pass holder since 2012. Was ......

snoseek

Its bad enough its probably worth its own thread. It will be just like last year where it will snow (hopefully), everybody will forget they made next to no snow as stuff opens, and then when spring comes and trail counts plummet and they gotta shut early everyone gets pissed again.

I honestly gambled thinking they couldnt possibly outdo last years trainwreck and I have never been more wrong.

Pray for snow.

Wolfman

Snowmaking is understaffed and the snowmaking system is quite old and full of gremlins. Several new pumps have been added but there's lots more work to do. Plus, very very bad natural snowfall in general. Hopefully that will change soon. Wildcat has never been a mountain where snowmaking and groomed terrain has been a chief attraction, so it's having a hard time with the lack of snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
While yes, Wildcat has never been known for their snowmaking, this is by far the worst I've ever seen. Since I started skiing there regularly in 07 (except for 14-15 ?? when the system blew up) they'd have Lynx, Polecat, Catapult to Bobcat and the Snowcat area by now. And those trails would be blown deep. Usually by Xmas week Wild Kitten and Cheetah. Followed up by Middle Catapult, Lower Catapult and AlleyCat by MLK. Then during good years they'd give us bonus snowmaking on Black Cat and Starr Line towards the end of January.

Most alarming this winter is there has been PLENTY of days that no snow has been made at all at Wildcat, Attitash, Crotched or Sunapee when their competition is getting after it. They clearly have someone from corporate saying that unless it's well below 32 for at least 24 hours, don't turn on the guns in New Hampshire.

Wolfman

You wanted the scoop, that was it. Everything else is speculation.

Reactions: abc

MadKitty

I think someone needs to do an expedition and ask the staff some questions in an off the record, stealthy way.
Already did that. They can't pump water to the top. They had pumps rebuilt this summer and one of them didn't work when they turned them on. They also have no staff, even less than last year. Check out this Instagram account for the local mood on vail. Found this in their social media comments before it got deleted:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does anyone have the inside scoop on what may be going on at wildcat? Bought the epic pass this year simply to ski wildcat and so far it’s not looking like a good investment…
It's now the Vail experience. Aren't you excited?

Because of the cost-cutting, their stock rose .54% yesterday to $322.21. A win. ;)

NYDB

maybe peaks is to blame. letting the snowmaking infrastructure rot (if that's really the case as stated above) while they spent 80mil at mount snow.

maybe Vail just underestimated how bad it was.

snoseek

maybe peaks is to blame. letting the snowmaking infrastructure rot (if that's really the case as stated above) while they spent 80mil at mount snow.

maybe Vail just underestimated how bad it was.
Peaks definitely let things go but day to day operations are the biggest issue IMO. They just dont have the staff it seems and it appears little support from Broomfield. I gotta feel for the staff they do have and hope people dont go all Karen on the actual employees because I'm sure theyre worked

eatskisleep

Already did that. They can't pump water to the top. They had pumps rebuilt this summer and one of them didn't work when they turned them on. They also have no staff, even less than last year. Check out this Instagram account for the local mood on vail. Found this in their social media comments before it got deleted:

I’ll have to save that page! I am not on Instagram but that page is pure gold.