• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's In A Trail Name: What's Your Spookiest/Trail Name Lore

TropicTundR

Mine occurred last night during the light snow on NJ Mountain Creek's Southern Sojourn. Trails were fairly empty due to superbowl. I was going a good 25-30mph, as I typically do on this trail and scream Bear! to the hiking snowboarders, and swear I saw someone slowly waving their arms just off the trail. As I was crouched (to maintain speed), and got closer he/she briskly ran back into the woods. I wasn't going to find out more, probably a pranksta

What's the trail that everytime you go down raises something up your spine?
As a side question, is there an online reference to find the history on how a trail got its name?

skiNEwhere

My favorite trail nam has got to be drunken frenchman at Winter Park. So politically incorrect.

ceo

Cannon has several trails named after deceased Tramway base lodge cats: Gremlin, Spookie, Jasper's Hideaway. Wonder if the latter is where Jasper escaped to once.

KevinF

Not New England, but Snowmass, Colorado has AMF -- Adios My Friend. (Although there are other, non family friendly versions of what the "MF" stands for as well...).

jaytrem

How about Kill the Banker?

It is an amazing run at Revelstoke

Yeah, I thought that name was kinda odd. I always like "Jaws of Death" at Mount Snow, kinda lame that the dropped the "of Death" part.

4aprice

Not New England, but Snowmass, Colorado has AMF -- Adios My Friend. (Although there are other, non family friendly versions of what the "MF" stands for as well...).

Maybe you know more out this then me and where it came from. When I first skied Snowmass back in the early 70's there was a run called Powderhorn. It started at the top of the Big Burn and turned left at the corner (just below Sam's Knob Lodge) and continued down to the bottom of the Campground Lift. Rated as expert it was a long trail with several drops and flats but there was one particular long flat near the bottom that opened up to a really steep shot down to the lift, and it was there that they had a sign that said "Adios" (I don't remember the MF part but it could have been there). Don't have a map but is that the area where this trail is.

As far a scary names, on Ajax they had one that was named (very appropriately) Elevator Shaft. Trail has been widened and renamed.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ