• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is it too warm to ski?

otisshirley

I'm thinking of going to Killington on Monday because it's probably the only day that will work for me for the next two weeks. But the forecast is for a high of 75 degrees (already 60 by 9 am, and the day before should be warm and rainy). I've never skied on a day that warm -- only up to the low 60s. Will it be enjoyable, or just a frustrating battle with slush?

Savemeasammy

To answer the question in the title of your post, it is too warm to ski once all the snow melts ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savemeasammy

(Oops, sent by mistake...). The snow quality question is probably too subjective, and if Monday were the only day I could ski for the next few weeks, I would go. You don't know if you don't go!

powhunter

Bumps are gonna be great!! If it gets sunny groomers will be heavy corn snow....If you not comfortable skiing that, I would start at snowdon before the sun starts to bake it...I remember a day when it was 89 degrees on superstar and there were mini rivers cutting across the trail

What station is the forecast from? Some Killington forecasts are from Blue Ridge, which is at around 1300 elevation, and I've even seen some from Rutland.

otisshirley

Sorry, it was Blue Ridge, so I imagine the mountain will be a bit cooler. I'm a novice when it comes to understanding weather forecasts.

Thanks for the other responses. And yes, it is snow quality that I was wondering about.

Pa. Patroller

To reiterate......
When the snow is gone, cause you have probably have 6 months of biking before you can ski again. So why not go EVERYTIME you can

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Temperature is not the only issue.
1. At this season, direct sunlight vs. shade
2. Low humidity keeps the snow sublimating rather than melting
3. Wind also keeps the snow sublimating rather than melting
4. Was there a hard freeze the night before?
5. and probably a few other factors that I missed

powhunter

My bud was up yesterday. Said there is a ton of snow on Patsy's. Low rider but also a ton of debris

mister moose

I'm thinking of going to Killington on Monday because it's probably the only day that will work for me for the next two weeks. But the forecast is for a high of 75 degrees (already 60 by 9 am, and the day before should be warm and rainy). I've never skied on a day that warm -- only up to the low 60s. Will it be enjoyable, or just a frustrating battle with slush?

Current Monday forecast for base elevation is sunny and 70. As previously said, melting conditions vary. I skied Escapade once when a river ran through it, and you could literally water ski the troughs. On an 80 degree day on a different time the snow stayed dry-drained with no standing water.

It just depends.

Sun, smiles, soft snow, shorts, and Switchbacks and songs at the U-bar, what more do you want?

Wide skis are advised. Don't obsess over the latest reverse partial forward bias rocker, just demo or find a 5 year old pair of 90mm skis in your length for $100.

The heavier snow is an acquired taste. Bring the right tools. Watch and learn. Trust me, it's worth it.

Edd

To repeat about a fresh wax, it's critical on a day like tomorrow. I'm skiing and my first stop will be at the tune shop for a hot wax.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Hey that t-shirts and shirts skiing weather! I am with others - if there is snow and you can get there go for it! Get a warmer temp wax rub it On you base and brush it and it will be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

My bud was up yesterday. Said there is a ton of snow on Patsy's. Low rider but also a ton of debris

Be careful in there. We tried to go into the Light today but the amount of pine needles down would literally bring you to a stop. We found it a bit dangerous and skied out. Don't want to suddenly stop, eject and head butt at tree.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ