• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where are all the moguls?

powhunter

Jack. You wouldn't want to go to Southington...now that sundowns been seeded...gonna be slush bumping on Monday!

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

twinplanx

Seeds have been planted on gnareaster at Ski Sundown.... Stoked to see them back on this trail

Sent from my DROID4 using AlpineZone mobile app

Wow, sweet! Those bumps in the first pic certainly look appetizing. Is that trail open? I assume racers and such ski them in before the general public.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

planb420

Wow, sweet! Those bumps in the first pic certainly look appetizing. Is that trail open? I assume racers and such ski them in before the general public.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk
They are for sure open and no, racers don't get at em first...its a first come first served kinda thing. I believe besides a ski patrol guy I got first run....can you believe it a snowboarder (part of the 10% got in there first ;) )

As far as them being "Loose" piles of snow...I'd say kinda sorta. It was snow pushed up with the cat blade and it was set up a bit so semi firm I guess...the spaces in between were a bit scratchy but had a nice layer of fluffy stuff. Should line out real nice. They the VW sized bumps begin!!!

planb420

Well, okay, but you're in the minority. Most snowboarders do not like (or even do) mogul trails.

I'll bet only 10% of snowboarders actively seek out mogul-only trails, meaning 90% of snowboarders dont seek mogul fields. I'll also bet 75% of snowboarders wont admit they dont do moguls.

Your right, I just hate when people paint snowboarders in with such a broad brush. We are a group of mixed interest individuals :)

bvibert

Staff member
Interesting. Are these basically loose piles of snow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As planb indicated they're probably not particularly loose. Sometimes you can still manipulate them somewhat, but they're not so loose that you can blow right through them. Though I have seen newly seeded bumplettes nearly destroyed by patrollers insisting on practicing hauling a sled down through them. :smash: Sometimes they setup so much overnight that they're rock hard in the morning.. :lol:

powhunter

They are just seeds that are skied around. With enough turns they get bigger and troughs develop.

bvibert

Staff member
They are just seeds that are skied around. With enough turns they get bigger and troughs develop.

Yes, those are totally just the bumplettes that will turn into full grown monsters!

Savemeasammy

Seeds have been planted on gnareaster at Ski Sundown.... Stoked to see them back on this trail

Sent from my DROID4 using AlpineZone mobile app

Be sure to post an "after" pic at some point! Maybe even a "during" pic, too. It would be interesting to see these bumps evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jack97

Jack. You wouldn't want to go to Southington...now that sundowns been seeded...gonna be slush bumping on Monday!

That's great! Only thing better would be a seeded trail next to the bra tree.

I might try them this Sunday or Monday.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
This is really interesting and I've never really thought about a decline in mogul skiing, but I've been to places where you can't even find a mogul trail on the map, especially when trail counts are low.

4aprice

I actually think mogul skiing is enjoying a revival. Camelback has 2 mogul trails up right now and there was a time when the mountain was mogul free (old owner who hated moguls). Blue Mountain totally reseeded their bump runs Thursday night. Not 1 but 4 of them, they were huge by Sunday afternoon. Elk always has good bumps as well. All 3 in the Pocono's, if they are doing it here they got to be doing it at the bigger mountains.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

Blue Mountain totally reseeded their bump runs Thursday night. Not 1 but 4 of them, they were huge by Sunday afternoon.

Blue Mountain has FOUR bump runs? Geez, havent skied there in probably 20 years, but it was our favorite Pocono hill back in high school. Back then the only moguls they had was the headwall at the bottom of Challenge.

EDIT: And IIRC, Challenge was the boundary of the area, but looking at the trail map, there's several more trails to its' right now.