• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go Wednesday, the 19th?

Bene288

My fiance hasn't been out since her accident last season, she really wants to stomp any hesitation she might have. We both have Wednesday off. Given the current weather speculation for Tuesday ( possible r*in/mix with not too cold temps Tuesday night), what would be the best option? It'd be great if it would snow in the higher elevations, but the temps are looking like they'll be too warm.:x If it's looking like it'll be boiler plate/death cookies everywhere we'll bag the idea. That's the last thing she needs to regain her confidence.

We were thinking Vermont because we need to pick out our puppy this week, and the breeder is in Manchester. I know Kmart/Mt. Snow are about 1 hour or so away from Manchester, but I'd rather have better conditions and drive a little further.

Any recommendations would be great! You guys/gals never steer me wrong.

ScottySkis

Mountsnow only has like 20 trails and they got rained on this morning after the snow, If I was you I go a little further north to Stowe, Sugarbush, Jay they all been getting the most snow lately.:)

jaytrem

Stratton has more open then either of those.

Stratton does have excellent grooming. Short drive from where you'll be. Unless they get a good dump of all snow further North, I'd say it's a no brainer.

Bene288

I always forget about Stratton. I've never been but it is closer than Snow or Kmart. I'll have to see what I can find on Liftopia. What's the vibe at Stratton? Any tips on where to park, good trails, etc?

ScottySkis

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Just checked Noaa.com saying rain for Stratton tomorrow and freezing temperatures Tuesday night, if you go more North to K you get all snow I haven't checked the weather for K though ,have fun were ever you go. Actually just checked Killington on NOAA and their supposed to get sleet and snow with a little rain, FYI, its your choice but based on the weather I think K is your best bet.

jaytrem

I always forget about Stratton. I've never been but it is closer than Snow or Kmart. I'll have to see what I can find on Liftopia. What's the vibe at Stratton? Any tips on where to park, good trails, etc?

Hmmm, Stratton vibe. Well it should be pretty quiet that day, so I doubt you'd get much feel for the vibe. Which is probably a good thing. But is has fast lifts and excellent snowmaking and grooming. Of the Killington, Mount Snow, Stratton option I'd say they would probably have the best conditions, especially for your wife. Using Liftopia you get $46 for Mount Snow, $52 for Killington and $60 for Stratton. Killington however would probably have the most interesting terrain, and may end up with nicer snow from the storm. That probably won't matter for you wife though. Anyway, I'd say it's a 3 way tie. If I was already going to Manchester I'd probably be lazy and go to Stratton. Not sure if ther Sun Bowl is open yet, but that's where I usually park. No shuttle required, and no need to deal with the village, and closer to my place at Mount Snow. There's a good chance it's not open yet though, hard to tell from the snow reports today with the icing and all.

Also, if you're going to buy on Liftopia I think you might need to do that tonight for MS and Stratton. Looks like you can do the day before for Killington.

Hope you have a great day which ever one you choose.

Bene288

The liftopia tickets for Stratton are available until tomorrow. I also have a $20 Liftiopia voucher from an EVO order earlier this year. I don't mind Killington, she got a really bad taste for it the one time she went. Unfortunately she's one of those people that are sort of uncomfortable in a new setting. I guess it will come down to what the weather does tomorrow. Thanks for all of the advice. It should be interesting.

Bene288

Scratch that. You're right, the Stratton tix have to be bought tonight. That makes the decision a little easier I guess. I just wanted to wait until tomorrow to see what the weather did. Hmm

Smellytele

K doesn't look good either (Sugarloaf is gettin the goods - little far for a day trip from just about anywhere :uzi:)

• Tonight Freezing rain likely before 2am, then sleet. Low around 26. Windy, with a southeast wind 32 to 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Tuesday Rain, freezing rain, and sleet, becoming all sleet after 4pm. High near 34. Windy, with a southeast wind 28 to 38 mph becoming south 11 to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  • Tuesday Night Snow showers likely, mainly before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Windy, with a northwest wind 16 to 21 mph increasing to 28 to 33 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
  • Wednesday A chance of snow showers before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 29. Windy, with a northwest wind 32 to 36 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Solitude67

Suggestion for Wednesday.

My fiance hasn't been out since her accident last season, she really wants to stomp any hesitation she might have. We both have Wednesday off. Given the current weather speculation for Tuesday ( possible r*in/mix with not too cold temps Tuesday night), what would be the best option? It'd be great if it would snow in the higher elevations, but the temps are looking like they'll be too warm.:x If it's looking like it'll be boiler plate/death cookies everywhere we'll bag the idea. That's the last thing she needs to regain her confidence.

We were thinking Vermont because we need to pick out our puppy this week, and the breeder is in Manchester. I know Kmart/Mt. Snow are about 1 hour or so away from Manchester, but I'd rather have better conditions and drive a little further.

Any recommendations would be great! You guys/gals never steer me wrong.

Not sure you guys saw the way things are tracking but skiied at Bretton Woods Mountain Resort today and will post a short trip report in a few minutes. Figured with Tebow actually moving the ball down field, I'm in a good mood. Last night we received around 7-8 inches in the Mount Washington Valley (North Conway area). Drove up to Bretton Woods this morning as the pass by Wildcat to Sunday River would have been even worse than the road conditions this morning on 302.

Bretton Woods has listed 11 trails open and that's 3-4 fall line top to bottom trails that are open, conditions are solid they are LSGR and while misty today and likely getting wet tomorrow, I expect that based on first hand reports from others would suggest Sunday River Ski Resort over Bretton Woods Mountain Report or Cannon Mountain Ski Area as Sunday River had the most acreage, trails (50+) and their snowmaking is impressive. Second choice would be Bretton followed by Loon which I hear has done a great job getting open early. Only issue is going to be what happens up here with the Rain Snow line which looks to skirt the Mount Washington Valley area.

Keep your eyes on the Weather forum http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/and if you are willing Rangeley area (Saddleback and Sugarloaf) may get as much as two feet out of this storm.

Good luck and enjoy the skiing.

Jeffrey
@infoman411

Bene288

Go to the loaf or Saddleback! It's snowing crazy up there right now. You will be happy you made the drive!

I would in a heart beat. She won't go for it though. We'd have to wake up at 2:00am. No problem for me, but I'd be hearing it the whole ride out. Damn! If I still lived in Boston I could probably persuade her.

ScottySkis

I would in a heart beat. She won't go for it though. We'd have to wake up at 2:00am. No problem for me, but I'd be hearing it the whole ride out. Damn! If I still lived in Boston I could probably persuade her.

With about Whiteface maybe they be cold enough to get snow today?

ScottySkis

I just saw on Stowe Facebook page that they are getting snow now.

Bene288

Were did you go and how was it?

Sorry, I've been busy.

We went to Jiminy. Not at all a choice in the running but a friend of ours had tickets that were only good that day. He wasn't able to use them so he gave them to us in exchange for a few beers at the bar. Wasn't looking forward to Jiminy, but it was her first time back since a pretty hard accident last season, so the slower pace was probably a good thing.

It was a good first time out for her. She was a little nervous the first chair up, but it all came back to her within the first 15 seconds of being on the snow. It was like spring skiing. I find it funny I've gone to Jiminy more in the last month (3) than I usually do in a season. Should be it for me. I always get so stoked to ski, then forget how boring the place can be.