• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to ski 12/23???

Ol Dirty Noodle

Looking to a day trip Sunday the 23, Max 4 hour each way from LI, what are your thoughts on best conditions and minimal holiday crowds?

urungus

Rain and warm temperatures are forecast for the end of this week, pretty much everywhere in the northeast, followed by a return to freezing temperatures Saturday = icy conditions everywhere Sunday.

Ol Dirty Noodle

Rain and warm temperatures are forecast for the end of this week, pretty much everywhere in the northeast, followed by a return to freezing temperatures Saturday = icy conditions everywhere Sunday.

I agree, the GF has her heart set on going to mount Snow however, and more often than not the little lady gets what she wants, fingers crossed maybe they’ll just get hammered right before the weekend

drjeff

Best conditions, minimal crowds, within 4hrs of LI, and that timeframe and likely weather later this week, that's going to be tough to fulfill all of those desires.

The one plus you may have in your favor is that typically the BIG Christmas week crowds don't show up until the 26th, and with Christmas on a Tuesday, many folks who might day trip this weekend when you factor in the weather and last minute Christmas prep needs, may take this weekend off.

Granted I have a well known on AZ, total Mount Snow bias, however this past weekend, the crowds were pretty mellow, they have a ton of snow on the mountain, and while this weather event later this week may take some natural snow trails offline until it snows again after the freeze up, with the firepower of their Snowmaking system and the ample base depths already on most Snowmaking trails for their groomers to work with, their recovery time should be as quick as any resort in the East with a sizeable selection of open terrain

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

tnt1234

best bet is to go as fr north as you can and hope the rain turns to snow saturday as forecasted. The further north, probably the more snow saturday night> sunday morning.

Ol Dirty Noodle

The mrs. sucks a mean cock, Mt. Snow is booked for Sunday, now we pray for snow [emoji1743]*[emoji3603]

raisingarizona

forget the snow, its the 2" of R$%^n, and winds we could do without. Pray hard and fast.

Maybe bring your kayak? I'd leave my skis at home.

At least your lady has skills if you're stuck in a hotel room while there.