• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who wants to buy a ski resort?

ERJ-145CA

Well hopefully the buyer of Hidden Valley is one of the ones who wants to operate it as a ski resort. If it closes we'll be down to 2 in NJ. Hidden Valley is nice because it is close to home for me and it is not nearly as crowded as Mountain Creek, (which is almost unskiable on weekends). It would be a shame to lose another ski area in NJ.

Dr Skimeister

Well hopefully the buyer of Hidden Valley is one of the ones who wants to operate it as a ski resort. If it closes we'll be down to 2 in NJ. Hidden Valley is nice because it is close to home for me and it is not nearly as crowded as Mountain Creek, (which is almost unskiable on weekends). It would be a shame to lose another ski area in NJ.

Be down to 2??

What is the other besides Mountain Creek? Campgaw?

nycskier

Never been to Hidden Valley. If I am up in that area I usually hit Mountain Creek. But a friend of mine from work would take his kids there every weekend to learn to ski.

If you think Mountian Creek is crowded now think about how bad it will be if Hidden Valley closes!

I am surprise Interwest is not interested in it. The 2 mountains are very cloese to each other and owning both would really add to Mountain Creek.

millerm277

I am surprise Interwest is not interested in it. The 2 mountains are very cloese to each other and owning both would really add to Mountain Creek.

Hah, Intrawest isn't interested in sinking another dime into Mountain Creek, just in trying to sell timeshares at that dumb hotel thing at Vernon.

nycskier

Hah, Intrawest isn't interested in sinking another dime into Mountain Creek, just in trying to sell timeshares at that dumb hotel thing at Vernon.

Which is why buying Hidden Valley might make sense. For a mere $6 million dollars anyone who buys a time share there would get 2 resorts to ski at.

Dr Skimeister

I'm pretty sure that Intrawest sold Mountain Creek to Fortress Investments, LLC. Hidden Valley is tiny and in need of an extreme make-over to be viable. New lifts/snowmaking/lodge would be essential.

nycskier

I'm pretty sure that Intrawest sold Mountain Creek to Fortress Investments, LLC. Hidden Valley is tiny and in need of an extreme make-over to be viable. New lifts/snowmaking/lodge would be essential.

Intrawest still owns Mountain Creek. They are building a ton of condos there. That is why I thought nearby Hidden Valley might be a good fit for them. Condos are worth more if there are 2 nearby resorts.

Intrawest did an amazing job bringing the old Vernon Valley Great Gorge back from the dead and turning into a thriving resort. Thought they could do the same for Hidden Valley.

Dr Skimeister

Just wondering if anybody knows who won the auction for Hidden Valley on Monday?

Article in the local paper here today says that the sheriff's sale has been postponed until July 2. There is a quote from a sheriff's department spokesman that says the snowmaking equipment has already been repossessed.

A local, Sussex County group has express interest in the purchase but that is contingent on their getting state approval to build a hotel, add tubing runs and a summer sports camp. The property lies within the Highlands preservation area, which limits development of the property.

nycskier

This is sad. Looks like Hidden Valley might go NELSAP. I really hope it doesn't and someone buys it.

And if you think Mountain Creek is crowded now wait until the 30,000 skiers who skied Hidden Valley show up at Mountain Creek!

Dr Skimeister

This is sad. Looks like Hidden Valley might go NELSAP. I really hope it doesn't and someone buys it.

And if you think Mountain Creek is crowded now wait until the 30,000 skiers who skied Hidden Valley show up at Mountain Creek!

30,000 skiers at Hidden Valley? Wow....That number surprises me. Any time I've ever been there or even driven by, which I do pretty regularly, the place seems empty. Some school buses in the evening.

I don't think Mountain Creek will mind attempting to absorb the overflow. Not much different going from extremely crowded to very extremely crowded.

ERJ-145CA

Article in the local paper here today says that the sheriff's sale has been postponed until July 2. There is a quote from a sheriff's department spokesman that says the snowmaking equipment has already been repossessed.

A local, Sussex County group has express interest in the purchase but that is contingent on their getting state approval to build a hotel, add tubing runs and a summer sports camp. The property lies within the Highlands preservation area, which limits development of the property.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2007/06/29/advertiser_news/news/5.txt

ERJ-145CA

Well, I'm happy to see that it looks like Hidden Valley will remain a ski area. A report in a local paper says:

VERNON — The Hidden Valley Ski Resort is expected to be sold by the end of this week, for roughly half the amount the owner was seeking in an auction earlier this month.

Donald Begraft, the current owner of the 130-acre resort, said he will likely sell it by Friday for about $3 million to a group which plans to keep maintaining it as a family-oriented ski resort.

The link to the article:
http://www.njherald.com/310180155187595.php

And another article:
http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2007/08/15/advertiser_news/news/14.txt

Last edited: