• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who's open? 11/18/22

zyk

Who's open in the northeast today? So far I've got:
Sunday River
Killington
Belleayre
Gore
Any others?
Tomorrow brings on:
Sugarbush
Stowe
Whiteface
Who else?
Always curious to watch the early season rollout

KustyTheKlown

whiteface with 3000 vertical to open is rad and tempting. snow tires get put on today at 3. got plans locally tomorrow unfortunately. enjoy to everyone hitting it this weekend.

urungus

Lifts at Mount Snow start spinning Sunday, November 20 from 9am-4pm – just two days away! Join us for a free breakfast sammie and our first chair banner break.
Start planning your first run with terrain open on River Run, Freefall, and Cascade down to Canyon. This plan is to open with the Bluebird Express, Discovery Shuttle, and Challenger Triple. Check the Snow & Weather Report Opening Day for up to date trail and lift info.
Grab your gear and get ready for first tracks this Sunday!

Zand

On the flip side, Loon and Wachusett have both dropped out of the running to open this weekend.

Looks like I might have to go to Sunday River Tuesday unless I'm missing something. Was hoping to stay closer.

machski

On the flip side, Loon and Wachusett have both dropped out of the running to open this weekend.

Looks like I might have to go to Sunday River Tuesday unless I'm missing something. Was hoping to stay closer.
Tuesday could be in play for Loon. Would not doubt they would like to open midweek ahead of the holiday to help ramp down crowds day 1.

Zand

Loon looks like they'll have a nice opening rollout but it's been radio silence on when that opening will be. Tickets sales show Wednesday but you can never go by that...

Wachusett announced a Friday opening which is pretty dumb considering the forecast. Just open now so we can ski on the snow you made before it goes down the drain.

I'm actually considering Windham tomorrow if Loon doesn't open. Never been there, but they have two solid TTB 1400 vert trails off an express lift open. The drive time is identical to Killington for me and it's on Ikon. I know Killington is TTB today but it's still really just two 600 vert trails and Great Northern to the bottom. I've never really heard much about Windham other than its pretty much the Okemo of the Catskills, but thats fine with me in the early season when the opening terrain looks that decent. Anyone have intel on that?

cdskier

I'm actually considering Windham tomorrow if Loon doesn't open. Never been there, but they have two solid TTB 1400 vert trails off an express lift open. The drive time is identical to Killington for me and it's on Ikon. I know Killington is TTB today but it's still really just two 600 vert trails and Great Northern to the bottom. I've never really heard much about Windham other than its pretty much the Okemo of the Catskills, but thats fine with me in the early season when the opening terrain looks that decent. Anyone have intel on that?

Given the terrain available today at both, Windham actually isn't a bad idea at all. I think the Okemo of the Catskills is a relatively good comparison. Both the 2 open TTB trails that Windham has right now are solid cruisers. Looks like "The Wall" is open too. That's a short little steeper run that will drop you into the blue cruiser that is currently open. Only question that may matter for you is whether they groom for tomorrow or not. Today they say the trails are open and ungroomed.

Zand

I'd be fine either way. Best case is they groom some and leave some alone so cruising and bumping would both be in play. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow and sunny so would be great doing either one!

thebigo

Loon looks like they'll have a nice opening rollout but it's been radio silence on when that opening will be. Tickets sales show Wednesday but you can never go by that...

Wachusett announced a Friday opening which is pretty dumb considering the forecast. Just open now so we can ski on the snow you made before it goes down the drain.

Loon updated the snowmaking trails, appears they are trying to open with the 8 and north. 7 Bros is not done, not sure if they are trying to avoid that side?

SR was good yesterday with nine year old but will be skiing with my five year old on Wednesday, hoping Loon gets open or SR gets lazy river open. Ecstasy to cascades is probably at the upper end of her ability for first day out.

thebigo

wednesday for loon:

Comments​

Opening Day!
The day you’ve all been waiting for is finally here. We are stoked to announce that the start of our 57th season will be Wednesday, November 23! We are kicking off the season in a big way, for the first time in history, operations will begin from the Governor Adams Lodge base area. The Kancamagus 8 and North Peak Express Quad will begin spinning at 9:00AM. Accessible top-to-bottom terrain will include intermediate and advanced trails. There will not be beginner terrain open at this time. Check back tomorrow for expected trail status.

Mountain operations teams are taking full advantage of a favorable extended snowmaking forecast to add terrain as quickly as possible.

Zand

Wachusett kind of caught onto my idea and moved opening day up to Wednesday. Wish they would've just moved it all the way to tomorrow and save me the drive. :p

I think with the drive time combined with the open terrain, Windham is definitely looking like my best bet for tomorrow. Never thought I'd actually bother skiing this place (or anywhere in the Catskills not named Plattekill for that matter) but here we are.

machski

Loon updated the snowmaking trails, appears they are trying to open with the 8 and north. 7 Bros is not done, not sure if they are trying to avoid that side?

SR was good yesterday with nine year old but will be skiing with my five year old on Wednesday, hoping Loon gets open or SR gets lazy river open. Ecstasy to cascades is probably at the upper end of her ability for first day out.
Yes, I believe Loon is intentionally bypassing the Gondi/7 Bros side while they continue construction of the quad. Makes sense to not be blowing snow at the base terminal, I think most of the work is centered there as the top terminal is complete. Probably explains a bit of the delay as well, the Kanc8 base really needs some snow so they can fill the barn in for loading. Tps have been a bit miserly down low, nothing really to speak of natural along 93 until halfway into the notch tonight. Drove up to SR as tomorrow is the only day I have this week free. Tempted to hit Loon Wednesday, I could probably sneak a few hours but wife would kill me. Never a good thing pre holiday 🤣

Zand

I'd be fine either way. Best case is they groom some and leave some alone so cruising and bumping would both be in play. Supposed to be warmer tomorrow and sunny so would be great doing either one!
Looks like this might play out! Grooming one trail and leaving the rest alone.

kendo

Bristol Mtn opened yesterday in WNY. Skiing 1200' vert, ttb on Rocket.

Zand

Ended up bagging the trip to Windham yesterday, but will be taking an extended lunch at Wachusett today since I work 20 minutes down the street. Although I don't have a pass there anymore, I do have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket so figured why not. Beautiful day outside and a little warmer so hoping for nice soft snow!