• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why I won't be skiing much this year.

wa-loaf

I've dropped a few hints here and there and a couple folks have PM'd me about it, but I've been reluctant to post here. I've kind of been using AZ as a escape to distract me from the stuff going on at home, I figure it's time to bring in the reality.

At the beginning of August a few growths were discovered on my wife's liver. Flash forward a few weeks and my wife has been through surgery to remove 60% of her liver due to bile duct cancer (colangio carcinoma) and 3 lymph nodes. The surgery was very successful and the docs (the best in the world at MGH) removed 99% of the cancer. The rest is "out there" somewhere in her system and we need to go through chemo to hopefully clear that out. The next six months will be spent doing chemo every other week starting October 3rd.

As far as skiing goes, well I hope to be able to do some skiing at Wachusett for my sanity and to get the kids out of the house as well. Any trips up north are really dependent on how my wife reacts to the chemo, but it's not really a priority.

My wife has a really good "we're going to kick cancers ass" attitude and is blogging about her experience if anyone is interested in following along: http://spiffyknits.blogspot.com/ It is her knitting blog if you are wondering about the theme going on there.

Any positive vibes are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jens

bvibert

Staff member
Wow! Sorry to hear about that wa-loaf! Hang in there and stand by your wife, the skiing will still be there when she's all healthy again.

Greg

Staff member
Best of luck for your wife's speedy recovery. Sounds like she has the right attitude. Perhaps this will just give your knee time to fully heel too. Tough year for you guys. I feel for you.

dmc

(((((( +++++++ vibes ++++++ ))))))

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Bummer man.

We're lucky to have places like MGH, Brigham and Women's, DFCI, Beth Israel, Children's, etc. so close by. Hope all turns out well. The anti-nasuea drugs have come a long way, from what I understand, and chemo is not as bad as it once was. The real tough part is the waiting after the chemo. Stay strong and positive, it's one of the best things to do.

Moe Ghoul

Sorry to hear about that, Wa, my wife went through chemo for something different in 2001. Circle the wagons and get it done. My wife's an avid knitter as well, in fact, she really got into it during the chemo days, it was good therapy for her. I played nurse for 9 months. Best wishes to her and your family.

Warp Daddy

Jens:

Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you face this challenge. Your wife's positive attitude together with your support and sensitivity will enhance her recovery process. It seems to me that you have the INNER strength to endure and be THERE for her .

By all means ski WAWA and let loose it'll do you BOTH some good .

I have two kids that are Hospital PharrmD's at 2 differant hospitals in Manhatten who regularly put these interventions together for their patients .( one of which is a sister in law ) , They tell me that The chemo while still ruff coupled with the anti - nausea meds have come a long way .

Vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warp

Beetlenut

So sorry to hear about your wife. I did the Danna Farber thing when my mom was doing Chemo. Like others have said, they've come a long way with the anti-nausea meds. No processed foods though!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Jens,
Moe is spot-on, circle the wagons and get it done
I have been through a number of life-altering medical curveballs with various relatives. The good news is that liver cancer is well understood and has many treatment alternatives, which have a lot of data behind them.

Put the skiing behind you, there is always next year. Invest now so there is a future to look forward to. Best wishes.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
You and your wife are in my thoughts. She has an awesome attitude and I know she will have excellent support from you. Best wishes on a speedy recovery for her.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++vibes+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

powderman

Really sorry about you and your family. Hope she has a speedy recovery

Last edited:

drjeff

Drugs are cool, very, very cool, especially the new chemo drugs!

Big time + vibes