• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why Utah over the Northeast?

jimk

There are a bunch of Easterners here on AZ that now live or spend much time in Utah. I spend the winters in UT and the rest of year in Wash DC area. Just to put it all in one thread, what is it that you transplants like about Utah? And so this isn't totally one-sided, you can also include a few things you don't like about Utah. Mentioning generalities and stereotypes is ok as long as you've witnessed some truth about them.

- The old cliché applies, worst ski day in UT is pretty much better than the best in the Mid-Atlantic.
- In the 2022-2023 season Alta averaged over 5" of new snow for every day it operated (903"/177 days). There are years in the Mid-Atlantic when some ski areas only get about twice that much natural snow in an entire season!
- In a decade of skiing UT frequently I can count my rainy ski days on one hand. And they are usually in May and not all day soakers.
- Back East the nearest ski area to my home is about 90-100 minutes. In UT there are four very good ones within 15-20 minutes (most of the time).
- I like that the SLC airport is 35-45 minutes from many ski resorts. I get to ski with friends and family from all around the country who come to UT because of this convenience.
- Although the ski buses in SLC are far from perfect, I like that free bus rides up the Cottonwood Canyons come with my ski pass and I use that option occasionally.
- I LOVE that my ski season is only about 60% over by the end of March. April is sensational for friendly, low-crowd skiing in UT. May can be pretty darn good too.
- I have seasonal allergies that bother me pretty bad in the East. I don't have any in UT. For some reason my system tolerates dust much better than pollen.
- I love waking up in or very close to the mountains and taking-in lots of long, scenic views. Where I live back East you rarely get sightlines over about a half-mile because of development, heavy foliage, and lack of nearby mountains.
- I've never had any problem getting beer, wine, or liquor in UT. I'm not a bar-going person, I usually buy any alcohol I want in grocery stores or more rarely at State Liquor stores.
- I'm not LDS (I'm Catholic), but I like the conservative, family-friendly aspects of many UT communities.
- Real estate and restaurants are cheaper in UT than where I come from back East. Grocery prices seem to be a wash, but I like the produce better in UT.
- In 2020 I stayed in UT until late July. I'll take a dry 100 degree day in UT over a humid 90 degree day in Wash DC anytime.

DISLIKES:
- There is much less general traffic in SLC compared to Wash DC area, but they go faster in UT and there are a lot of sketchy drivers/beater vehicles. Just gotta stay in your lane and go with the flow.
- Traffic to ski areas on prime days can be bad, bad as in a 20 minute one-way drive turns into a 90 minute one-way drive. You learn to avoid peak traffic times or skip truly crippling crowd days. Last season I skied 70 days and only had about four or five one-way drives that lasted longer than 45 minutes. I skipped perhaps two days entirely because of anticipated huge crowds.
- The buildings and architecture of SLC are not the most aesthetically pleasing. Many close-in residential areas of SLC are rather dumpy and industrial/commercial. In comparison, much of Wash DC and close-in suburbs are very upscale (and very expensive).
- There are winter weather inversions in the SL Valley that bring smog. But this is usually limited to a week or two per winter and you can escape it for the day by going skiing. Some winters there are virtually no instances of smog. I lived in LA as a kid for three years. I remember smog there that made my lungs ache when I took a deep breath. I've never had that feeling in UT.

Last edited:

4aprice

My BIL invested in Utah right after the 2002 Olympics so I have been fortunate to be able to go there every year since. Great place, lots of growth over the years and of course great skiing. That said, we went to Colorado and are very happy there. A little more rural, and still close enough to DIA to get in and out if we need to (family mostly still here in NJ) The future for us includes lots of travel between the 2 states. With bases in the Salt Lake area (previously mentioned), the Denver area where my son resides plus the condo up in Grand County I feel I'm in a good location for retirement skiing.

On a side note: Very pleased Utah got the Yotes. That makes 2 venues to see the Devils play while we are out west during the winters. Feb 26 (Denver), March 1 (SLC) this year but don't think I'll be there at that time this season

BodeMiller1

Maybe in another life
I could find you there
Pulled away before your time
I can't deal, it's so unfair
And it feels, and it feels like
Heaven's so far away
And it feels, yeah, it feels like
The world has grown cold
Now that you've gone away
Leaving flowers on your grave
Show that I still care
Black roses and Hail Mary
Can't bring back what's taken from me
I reach to the sky
And call out your name
And if I could trade
I would
Heaven's so far away
And it stings, yeah, it stings now
The world is so cold
Gone away, gone away
Yeah, yeah-yeah, yeah-yeah, ooh
Yeah-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, oh-yeah
I'll save your soul, whoa
Yeah, yeah-oh, ooh
I reach to the sky
And call out your name
Oh, please let me trade
I would
Heaven is so far away
And it feels, yeah, it feels like
The world has grown cold
Gone away, gone away
Yeah, yeah-yeah, yeah-yeah, ooh
Yeah-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, oh-yeah
Yeah-ooh, yeah-ooh, ooh-ooh-ooh, oh-yeah

All rights to The OFFSPRING Band TM, LLC et al.....

Attachments

• Lendle.jpg
    Lendle.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 1

BodeMiller1

My BIL invested in Utah right after the 2002 Olympics so I have been fortunate to be able to go there every year since. Great place, lots of growth over the years and of course great skiing. That said, we went to Colorado and are very happy there. A little more rural, and still close enough to DIA to get in and out if we need to (family mostly still here in NJ) The future for us includes lots of travel between the 2 states. With bases in the Salt Lake area (previously mentioned), the Denver area where my son resides plus the condo up in Grand County I feel I'm in a good location for retirement skiing.

On a side note: Very pleased Utah got the Yotes. That makes 2 venues to see the Devils play while we are out west during the winters. Feb 26 (Denver), March 1 (SLC) this year but don't think I'll be there at that time this season
I've got two runs off the driver's left off RT 2 in Montpelier and new untapped Black Diamond Marias. The skis have no chance. It's a spill way off the hill they / we blast the fireworks off. Don't ask don't tell. 30 degrees and ledges and 20' cliffs. Have to get Humpty ( The Great One); to sign off on my ride lift service. 250' of ice and birch.

Magdal

Utah is awesome for skiing, no question. The snow is way better, and having so many great resorts close by is a huge plus. Also, the air is so much cleaner and the views are stunning.