• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat, 02-06-2015

granite

Five planets are visible in the early February night sky. Two of them are visible for those that arose pre-dawn on Saturday to drive to the mountains; Mercury and Venus rising in the east. Right next to them was the bright sliver of a crescent moon with the rest of the moon reflecting earth glow. This was the backdrop for my 2 hour and 15 minute, 110 mile drive to Pinkham Notch and Wildcat Ski area for day four of my ski tour. Upon arrival the temperature was sixteen degrees rising to the twenties under a mix of clouds and sun. From the Wildcat web-site on Friday I purchased an online lift ticket for $71.99 for a $7 savings. The web-site reported two inches of new snow, which I could not find anywhere during my ski day. All of the open terrain skied pretty much the same, machine groomed and significantly firm and fast. Snow had been made on the Polecat trail and was groomed overnight preventing any big whalebacks from forming and the trail did provide some softer snow to enjoy. There was barely a mogul to be found anywhere. The high speed quad takes about 7 minutes to reach the summit and there was never a lift line. The view from the top is the best in the East. Across the notch the clouds covered the very top of Mount Washington, but everything below the top of Tuckerman’s Ravine could be seen. I skied from 8:30 to almost 2 pm, by 1 pm the trails were skied off and became slick, icy and difficult on the legs to hold an edge. I did not go to après ski but at lunch I did have a Bloody Mary followed by Chili and Chips with a Tuckerman’s Ale. The drive to Pinkham Notch and Wildcat for me is on two lane highways. On the way home I listened to Two Lane Highway by Pure Prairie League followed by Breaker-Breaker, Take Me Home by the Outlaws. It was appropriate music for the long drive home.

Attachments

• IMG_9534.JPG
    IMG_9534.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 171

neon

Your Wildcat Post

Five planets are visible in the early February night sky. Two of them are visible for those that arose pre-dawn on Saturday to drive to the mountains; Mercury and Venus rising in the east. Right next to them was the bright sliver of a crescent moon with the rest of the moon reflecting earth glow. This was the backdrop for my 2 hour and 15 minute, 110 mile drive to Pinkham Notch and Wildcat Ski area for day four of my ski tour. Upon arrival the temperature was sixteen degrees rising to the twenties under a mix of clouds and sun. From the Wildcat web-site on Friday I purchased an online lift ticket for $71.99 for a $7 savings. The web-site reported two inches of new snow, which I could not find anywhere during my ski day. All of the open terrain skied pretty much the same, machine groomed and significantly firm and fast. Snow had been made on the Polecat trail and was groomed overnight preventing any big whalebacks from forming and the trail did provide some softer snow to enjoy. There was barely a mogul to be found anywhere. The high speed quad takes about 7 minutes to reach the summit and there was never a lift line. The view from the top is the best in the East. Across the notch the clouds covered the very top of Mount Washington, but everything below the top of Tuckerman’s Ravine could be seen. I skied from 8:30 to almost 2 pm, by 1 pm the trails were skied off and became slick, icy and difficult on the legs to hold an edge. I did not go to après ski but at lunch I did have a Bloody Mary followed by Chili and Chips with a Tuckerman’s Ale. The drive to Pinkham Notch and Wildcat for me is on two lane highways. On the way home I listened to Two Lane Highway by Pure Prairie League followed by Breaker-Breaker, Take Me Home by the Outlaws. It was appropriate music for the long drive home.

This really conjures up the feel of a ski trip, esp Pure Prairie League !

Was thinking of going on Friday on the way to the Loaf to use a Peeks Perk, but doesn't sound too worth it, maybe Attitash

jack97

I was there 2/7, the place does have moguls. They are not in one long run but spread out, the length is close to Sundown's gunny going from kicker to kicker. Best sections is a section near the base between the main quad and the triple, soft troughs but not fully deep. Mini schuss skiers's left, upper section is soft and then it's iced with green/soil in the troughs. Skier's left under the triple (the one next to the quad), has section of fresh stuff and ice/hardpack. Been using my rock skis 2006 Twisters for the last three times I went up.

Went to Attitash when Wildcat was closed due to wind, the place was hardpack/boilerplate. Nothing fun to me was open at Bear. Talked with some locals recently and its still that way.

yeggous

Was at the cat yesterday. Middle Catapult was scary. Upper Catapult was bullet proof. Everything else was good.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

jack97

.... Best sections is a section near the base between the main quad and the triple, soft troughs but not fully deep. Mini schuss skiers's left, upper section is soft and then it's iced with green/soil in the troughs.

Found a trail map..... moguls can be found at Tomcat schuss (trail sign calls it mini schuss). Softest moguls I found was Lower Catenary. Both run outs have icy sections and/or burn out troughs and runs close to regular traffic, I usually wait until the traffic is clear before I make my way down.

Low angle bumps can be found at lower lynx under the triple.