• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat Hike For Turns?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Maybe a silly question since Tux is across the road, but was just wondering. Are there any issues with hiking Wildcat? Is it allowed? How are conditions?

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Wildcat has no problems with hiking for turns. There was a bit of confusion earlier this year with the new ownership but that has all been ironed out for in season. For after-season there is no problem and in fact Polecat is still the standard hiking approach to Wildcat D for those that don't want to use the Wildcat Ridge trail.

Driving past on Saturday it looked you could still make a good day of it up higher but the lower mountain was melting out very quickly.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wildcat has no problems with hiking for turns. There was a bit of confusion earlier this year with the new ownership but that has all been ironed out for in season. For after-season there is no problem and in fact Polecat is still the standard hiking approach to Wildcat D for those that don't want to use the Wildcat Ridge trail.

Driving past on Saturday it looked you could still make a good day of it up higher but the lower mountain was melting out very quickly.

I'll second the Polecat trail for a hike. I used this as the approach for my hike of the 'cats in 2007 for my 48 list and it was a pleasant hike. As long as you are respectful of personnel and equipment at the resorts, generally they don't mind if you hike the trails. There are some exceptions though like Cannon which has a very strict policy against hiking the ski trails offseason.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Thanks guys, planning on doing Tux Sunday, which my wife won't do. And with her was thinking of hiking Killington on Monday, then realized Wildcat may be another option.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
In recent months, signs have been posted at the bottom of the ski area that read:
Mountain Operating Hours: 8:30AM - 4:30PM
All Trails Closed Outside Of These Hours

Tickets required for all trail use

The USFS says that you are allowed to hike up and down the Polecat, however the ski area can require a ticket in order to use skis or a snowboard.

A bunch of folks were skinning this past weekend without issue. Top to bottom skiing was still possible, however bare spots are starting to grow.