• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will you be ready when the season gets here?

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Wax on, Wax off....

2n1vzog.jpg

Cornhead

Yes, I just hope my bankrupt ski resort, Greek Peak, will open, as they say they will. I started last season at Whiteface, they got 17" the Friday after Thanksgiving, I went with every intention of skiing Saturday, staying overnight, and skiing Sunday. Well, I guess 2,000 feet of corn snow was just too much to handle right off the bat. I skied Saturday and drove home, I was sore for two days after that. I had been working out regularly prior to my trip, I guess skiing is like football, no way to get into skiing shape without actually skiing. It was surreal, as if the season had picked up right where it left off, fifty degrees and corn snow. Can't wait to put the snows back on the Subaru, hope I actually need them this year.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Physically I don't do as much as I should to get ready. Approaching age 66 I don't push it too hard in the off season. This is one activity I do pursue to keep my quads in shape for snowboard and ski racing. I'll probably only do 5 miles on it tonight.

Cornhead

Physically I don't do as much as I should to get ready. Approaching age 66 I don't push it too hard in the off season. This is one activity I do pursue to keep my quads in shape for snowboard and ski racing. I'll probably only do 5 miles on it tonight.

Very cool, never tried unicycling, kudos, five miles seems like a long way on one to me. Love the video, the suspense was killing me till you panned down. What the hell is he doing? How long have you been unicycling? Crash much when you started?

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Very cool, never tried unicycling, kudos, five miles seems like a long way on one to me. Love the video, the suspense was killing me till you panned down. What the hell is he doing? How long have you been unicycling? Crash much when you started?

I did five miles this evening with a short break at each one mile mark. I first rode a unicycle in college in 1964 but didn't really get started until about ten years ago. Most I've ridden at any one stretch is 12 miles.

Yeah, I've had my share of UPDs (UnPlanned Dismounts) with one resulting in a broken hand. I'd urge anyone getting into this sport to wear a helmet and wrist guards. A few years ago I videoed a competition at Killington. Some of these kids are amazing.

ScottySkis

Yes, I just hope my bankrupt ski resort, Greek Peak, will open, as they say they will. I started last season at Whiteface, they got 17" the Friday after Thanksgiving, I went with every intention of skiing Saturday, staying overnight, and skiing Sunday. Well, I guess 2,000 feet of corn snow was just too much to handle right off the bat. I skied Saturday and drove home, I was sore for two days after that. I had been working out regularly prior to my trip, I guess skiing is like football, no way to get into skiing shape without actually skiing. It was surreal, as if the season had picked up right where it left off, fifty degrees and corn snow. Can't wait to put the snows back on the Subaru, hope I actually need them this year.

Rollerblading is good.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Cornhead

Rollerblading is good.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
I was rollerblading with my ski poles last year. You can move yourself along with just your poles if you don't get too aggressive. Pretty good upper body workout. I believe they make pointy tips that will bite into asphalt. I've had a few "incidents" that reminded me that snow is a much better surface to slide across than asphalt.;-) Good low impact exercise, well usually low impact...ouch.

bdfreetuna

The check engine light went off on the 98 Subaru long enough to get a valid inspection sticker for another year. So, yes.

Off-season ski team practice was the most intense work outs I ever did. 10 mile runs. Hours of wall-sits. Sprints and lunges and side-jumps till you see red.

I don't punish myself like that anymore just to ski. Ready whenever the snow falls :daffy:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
The check engine light went off on the 98 Subaru long enough to get a valid inspection sticker for another year. So, yes.

Off-season ski team practice was the most intense work outs I ever did. 10 mile runs. Hours of wall-sits. Sprints and lunges and side-jumps till you see red.

I don't punish myself like that anymore just to ski. Ready whenever the snow falls :daffy:
Whats the check engine light on for?

Puck it

Should be after the crash mtb'ing a couple weeks ago. I thought I torn the ACL in my good knee. Only a grade 1 MCL strain/tear. I am back on the bike. I am doing 7 miles in the woods now in under 30 minutes. I need to ride with someone though to push me harder.

bdfreetuna

Whats the check engine light on for?

I've rarely known a high mileage Subaru to not have the check engine light on. The longer the car has been driven without resetting the codes, the more emissions codes it will start to fail.

So in order to get it to pass inspection I have to clear the codes and then drive just long enough for the computer to read "ready" but not long enough for it to start failing codes. It's a fine line and usually doesn't work on the first try. Took me four attempts at a sticker this year to finally get a good one.

Warp Daddy

Yep we,ll be ready at 69 I KNOW I have to be in the gym 3 days a week year round and on the off days we walk 5 miles a day and of course casual biking , and I play golf 2/3 days a week too It all helps ! And at THIS age USE or LOSE it .......fast . being a couch potato is NOT an option :lol:

4aprice

I hear you on this. Legs don't kick in for usually a couple of days for me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

wa-loaf

Need to tune up the skis, bases and edges took a beating last season.

A separated shoulder and something up with my big toe is keeping me from doing much preseason workout right now. Start PT on Friday, hopefully I can get going with P90X or something in a month.

None of this would stop me from getting on the slopes right away if the opportunity came up.

hammer

The body's never ready but the mind always is...and now is when thoughts of skiing start to set in.

Will want to get a shop tune on our skis and would like to get the boots checked and tweaked. Need to find a new bootfitter this year. :sad:

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
Unicycle are surprisingly inexpensive on ebay. I think I'll start with this one...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TORKER-5-FO...681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336e75f689
Might want to start off with one just a tad shorter....:-o

Maybe like this one.

A few years ago I did a century ride at Tiverton RI on my Raleigh R700 Road Bike. About a mile from the finish line my wife met me with my unicycle and I rode the rest of the way in on it. When I rounded the corner to the finish line all conversation came to an abrupt halt!

1608w8.jpg

steamboat1

Ski's have been tuned & sitting in the ski shop up in VT. since last April. Skied my last several days on my old ski's because of questionable conditions. Ski clothes are all clean & together in hanger bags ready to go. Keep myself in fairly decent shape year round so I don't anticipate any problems there. Five minutes to pack my bag & then gas up the car & I'm ready to go. Just waiting for snow.

Puck it

Just picked an organizer for the back of the truck insttead of using the back pack. Just throw things in it and let them dry and they won't roll around.

51NDF41QWHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg